𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 11 ♡︎

Stefan watches Katherine as she waits for someone to ask the first question. Why she never said anything to them before, it's a mystery. How they could not realize it before is another mystery. It makes sense. It makes perfect sense. Damon was crazy about Katherine and he wanted her to turn him. He died with her blood in his system, and he spent one hundred and forty-five years looking for her, chasing after her all over the world.

"How come I'm not sired to you anymore?" Damon asks.

"Remember when I came back to Mystic Falls? When we were making out? I told you that I had never loved you. That it was always Stefan."

Stefan's hands curl into fists when he hears that Katherine and Damon were doing it behind his back. The thought of her with someone else is unbearable. His eyes meet Elena's and Stefan knows that she saw his reaction.

"The only way to break a sire bond," Katherine continues, "is to leave the person who's sired to you. To break their heart. To make them forget you. They have no other choice but to do it because they're still bonded to you when you order them to do that."

Elena takes Damon's hand but he refuses to look at her. Katherine can see the inner conflict reflected in his eyes. Damon was never good at hiding his emotions, despite what he thinks.

"You should take a little time to think about it, Damon."

"What? No, there's nothing to think about!" Elena interjects. "We are together."

Stefan gets up and, after one last look, he speeds out of the room. Katherine glares at Elena and speeds after him.

"Stefan, wait!"

"Leave me alone, Katherine. I need some air."

"Is this about what Elena just said? That she and Damon are together? You knew that already."

He stops walking and she almost bumps into him.

"It is different to hear it being confirmed. It hurts."

Katherine places a comforting hand on his shoulder but it doesn't help him calm down. His emotions are all over the place and Stefan knows that it will take time for him to handle correctly the consequences of being on human blood again. He shrugs her hand off and walks away. This time, Katherine does not try to stop him.

"Could you be any more stupid?" Katherine asks angrily when she walks back into the living-room, where Damon and Elena are standing still.

"Don't yell at her," Damon answers while stepping protectively in front of Elena.

Katherine laughs a bitter laugh.

"Well isn't that cute, Damon protecting his little strumpet of a girlfriend. Don't forget that I'm way stronger than the both of you. You're no match, Damon. I'm out of here. I have a man to console. Think about what you're gonna do next!" She adds as she disappears from their sight.

Once they are alone, Damon turns to Elena and what she can read in his eyes makes her reach for his hand.

"Damon, don't."

"Elena…"

"We're happy. Can't we just stay that way?"