Chapter 7

7pm

Josephine's pov:
'I think those ab workouts are finally starting to make a difference.'
I stand before the mirror, admiring how my body is slowly adjusting.
'Yeah looks like it, not that you need them.' Hero replies, his head in his phone.
'But I don't wanna stay like this forever, I'll never get hired again.'
'I thought we talked about this. We're taking a break from acting so we can spend time with our son- watch him grow up.' Hero says, raising his tone a little.
'I know , I know,' I sigh, 'but you know it's what we love to do, and some day we'll want work again, when John gets older.'
'Yeah I guess you're right.' Hero says, getting up off the bed and walking over to me.
He looks me up and down, before placing a hand on my waist and the other on my cheek.
'You look beautiful, Jo.'
'Thankyou.' I smile, kissing him lightly on the mouth.
'Is John still sleeping?'
'Yeah, surprisingly!' Hero chuckles, returning to the bed.
'Lazy.'
'I can't remember the last time I sat on this bed for more than 10 minutes. I'm always watching TV or playing trains with John.'
I just roll my eyes and smile, he does have a good point.
'You sure you'll be okay here if I'm out tonight?'
'Of course, you deserve this. Go have fun.' Hero encourages me, and to be honest I am looking forward to a break from full-time parenting.
I comb through my hair one last time and apply a coat of mascara to my dark-shadowed eyes.
I decide to be bold and go for a dark shade of lipstick too, it's mauve coloured and is a close match to my dress. I'm wearing black heels with ankle straps, and I decide to bring my black and silver clutch.
I look pretty coordinated, and I'm pleased with the outfit I've put together.
'Yes Jo, you look great.' Hero says, reading my mind. I always like getting his reassurance on my appearance. Of course, he'd never tell me I look bad, but it makes me feel happy just the same.
'You better go, you'll be late.'
'That desperate to get rid of me, huh?' I joke, removing my phone from its charger.
'Of course not, I just want you to have a good time.
'I know.' I reply with a childish wink.
'Me and John will enjoy some quality father-son time, while you relax with your friends.. but don't get too drunk!'
'Okay, see you later.' I say, leaning down to kiss him before exiting.
'Home by midnight.' Hero says, and I laugh at his joke as I walk downstairs.

8pm
Still Jo's Pov:
'Great, Thankyou.' I say to the waiter as he places my second or third drink on the table.
'Could I get a refill?' Allison asks, holding out her glass. The young guy heads back to the bar to fulfil her request and I take a sip from my wine. I haven't always been a huge fan of it, but lately I've really got a taste for it.
I have to say this particular wine is the best I've had. The pub is quiet tonight, almost too quiet but I guess that's not such a bad thing.
It's so nice to see my friends again tonight, it feels like forever since we last got together.
'Are you okay Clara? You look a little pale.' I question, observing her shifty behaviour. She almost seems.. nervous about something.
'Nope, all good. Maybe I've had one two many of these.' She laughs, lifting up her half drunk glass of gin.
'It's only 8!' I reply, laughing along with her.
'Anyway, I'm just nipping to the bathroom.' I say, standing up from my seat.
'Oh, me too.' Allison gets up to follow me.
'You're not coming?' Ali asks. Clara shakes her head and smiles at us.
'I'll watch the bags.' She says.
'Okay.' We say in unison and myself and Ali stagger to the female bathroom.

11pm
Hero's Pov:
I put John to bed a few hours ago and for the first time in a while, he hasn't woken up crying. It's actually peaceful in this house- I can't believe it. I've sent a few texts to Jo, just to check in but she hasn't responded to any. I do start to worry, but then I push the thought to the back of my mind. She's just having fun, maybe her phone is switched off.
I decide to send one more message, before heading to bed.
'I'm off to bed, hope you're having fun baby.'
Then a message appears on my screen: 'message can't be delivered.'
That's strange. I've never seen that before.
Suddenly I get a gut feeling that something is seriously wrong, and anxiety surges through my body.