Chapter 27

Hero's Pov:
The police force flood in with guns, shouting 'get down, hands on your head!' And my heart is racing with fear and relief. Jo is crying, hands over her face and they are shaking.
'We've got a gunshot wound here! Someone call an ambulance.'
I'd almost forgotten about my leg from the adrenaline that was pumping around my body.
'Jo, it's okay. It's over.' I try to calm her, but she's totally distressed. I mean it's no wonder. She was just held at gunpoint.
'You're Hero?'
'I am.'
'Okay I'm going to wrap your leg and I need you to keep it under pressure. You've lost a lot of blood already but you're going to be okay' the officer says, and I nod, still in shock myself.
He begins wrapping my leg and I'm feeling a little faint. 'Stay with me.' Jo says, gripping my hand. I guess they got her out of the chair.
I look up to see three officers carting a handcuffed Roger out of here.
'Jo, I love you.'
'No don't say that, you're going to be fine, baby.' She says, kissing my forehead and I feel one of her tears land on my steaming skin.
I hear the loud ambulance sirens in the distance somewhere, and within minutes paramedics appear. I'm strapped onto a stretcher and carried by three or four guys until we reach the ambulance. Jo clambers in and holds my hand in both of hers.
'It's okay. You're going to be okay.' She says, clearly pushing her own emotions aside for me. God, I don't deserve an angel like her. She's lived in hell for over a month, and is still putting me first. I feel us driving away from this nightmare, and I let my eyes fall shut. I'm exhausted.

The next day..

Josephine's pov:
'Mum.' I say, tears quickly filling my eyes, threatening to spill any moment.
She throws her arms around me and I cry into her shoulder.
'I've missed you so much, love.' She tells me, emotional.
'I missed you too. I'm so sorry.'
'Don't you dare apologise, Josephine. None of this is your fault.' She backs out of our embrace and wipes the tears from my burning cheeks.
I hear a car pull up from behind me, and I turn slowly around to see my Dad stood there, a hand over his mouth in shock.
'Dad!' I squeal, running towards him.
'Jo!' He opens his arms to hug me, and I feel his hand stroking the back of my head in the loving way he always has. I remember that being how he would calm me down as a young girl if I was crying.
'Is Hero okay?'
'Yeah, he's gonna be. He's out of his operation and still under the effects of anaesthetic but he should be awake soon.' I tell him with a smile.
'Jo!' My mum calls out from the doorway of the house.
'There's someone else here who wants to see you.'
I head back to the house with Dad close behind, and then I see him. My baby. In Martha's arms, and he's looking happy and healthy as ever.
Immediately I'm crying again, and I run towards her, happily taking John into my arms.
'Hi baby.' I say quietly to him, kissing his forehead.
I'm worried he won't remember who I am, but he nuzzles his little head into my fuzzy sweater the way he always has and my heart melts.
'I've missed you so much, John.' I whisper, wiping a tear away.
Then I look up and see my beautiful mother in law.
'Martha, when did you get here?' I ask, reaching an arm out for a light hug, careful not to squish the baby cuddling my chest.
'I'm so glad you're okay, Jo. It's so great to see you.'
'You too. I have Hero to thank, really. He came and found me.'
'He put his heart and soul into searching for you. And I'm sure he's thrilled you're okay.' She says with a wide smile.
'Yeah, me too.'
It hurts because I know I'm putting on a facade here. I'm not okay. I feel dirty, I feel broken and I know my head is scrambled. I haven't slept at all. I just waited for Hero to get out of surgery and then sat by his bedside. I didn't want to leave him this morning but I had to see my son, and my parents.
'Well I'm gonna head back to the hospital so I'm there when Hero wakes up. Do you want to come with me, I can give you a ride Martha?'
'No dear, don't worry about me. I'll come and see him later. I think you two have a lot to talk about and come to terms with. I'll let you have some alone time.' She says, in the considerate way I know and love.
'Aren't you taking John?' Dad asks me, and I shake my head.
'I'll be back as soon as I can, but there are some things.. some things I have to tell Hero that I don't want my baby to hear. Mum, you don't mind do you?'
'No of course not, love. We'll take care of him. In fact I think I'll quite miss him when you take him back home!' She laughs and I can't find it in me to join in. I just smile weakly and say my goodbyes to everyone before going to my car.