Chapter 12

Peter comes back in a complete panic, despite not knowing the situation. I barely spare him a glance as I continue working my way into the Daily Bugle's archives to scramble their signal and buy some time. "Lia!" He calls as he rushes to me, head on a swivel looking for danger. "What's wrong? I got your 'SOS.'"

"Sit down, take a breath, and promise me you won't get mad." I hold up a finger as I finish my current line of code. ARTI's suggestions and guidance floods across my lenses as he rallies the troops to meet me in the chat.

"Fine, but you have to tell me what's wrong."

I bite my lip, setting the pieced together computer aside, "Beck had a contingency plan, which included a video that's edited to frame you for the attacks in Europe and London." Peter opens his mouth to say something, but I stop him. "That's not all. He exposed your identity and sent the video to every major news outlet worldwide."

"What?!" He screeches and pulls at his hair and paces the room. "Oh my god. Everyone's going to know I'm Spiderman. My enemies are going to know my real name."

"Pete," I yell at him and grab his hand to keep him from burning a hole in the floor, "I have a way to fix it, but you're gonna have to lay low for a bit."

His eyes immediately shift from fear to concern, "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know, and I can only buy us about half an hour before the news breaks." I tell him as I keep frantically typing. "It won't be a worldwide delay because the best I can do is mess with the local systems to buy a little extra time."

"If I may?" ARTI asks loud enough for both of us to hear. "I believe I may have a solution."

"I'm up for pretty much anything. So, go ahead." I tell him as I keep typing.

"I believe Will may be able to provide some assistance. I've been keeping my eye on his as part of the Umbrella Protocol you installed before initially leaving New York."

"The Umbrella Protocol?" Peter interrupts as he looks at me. "What's that?"

"A modified version of the Baby Monitor Protocol that Dad originally had in your original suit. It was a way to keep an eye on everyone close to me in case my identity was compromised." I avoid looking at him as I continue, "Plus, it helped me on the bad days to know you guys were okay."

"So, you were watching me while you were gone?"

"What? Did you really think I wouldn't check up on you?" I question with a raised eyebrow before returning the conversation back to the original topic. "How would Will be able to help us? Granted, he's as good with computers as I am, but I can only do so much."

"Alone, yes, but recently, he's become acquainted with a group of hackers like you and him. They're working against corruption in the media and large corporations that use their influence to spread misinformation or bury stories."

"Like what's happening to Peter." I grin at the idea of Will using his skill to fight for what he believes.

Peter looks at me with wide eyes, "And you. Whoever's behind the Trials framed you for all their crimes."

"Precisely."  ARTI cheers in agreement. "Perhaps we can reach out to them and recruit them to helping the pair of you."

I look at Peter, trying to gauge his thoughts on the situation. "What are you thinking?"

"That it's our best option." He replies matter-of-factly. "I won't turn down a chance to still be Spiderman without everyone knowing it's me in the suit, and I definitely wouldn't say no to clearing Phantom's name as well. People should see you as the hero you are."