Prologue

A/N: If you're reading this, I would like to remind you this is book 2 of The REM Trials series. So, please, go check that out if you haven't. (Especially since a lot of stuff in here will revert back to the first book, so things will make more sense in order.)

Also, thank you for reading this story! It was so much fun writing the first book, and I'm so inexplicably ecstatic to continue Lia's story with this book. So, please, read on and enjoy!

Stay awesome, darlings. Xx

...

I wait on the rooftop of Peter's apartment complex until I'm sure he's asleep. My fingers fidget with the gloves from my suit as the doubt starts to creep in. Should I really be doing this? Is it worth hurting everyone I love? Can I truly leave him like this after everything?

The answer in my mind is a resounding "yes." I have to go. If I don't, it puts them all in so much danger from the people hiding behind the REM Trials. They've proved they'll stop at nothing to get to me. It would be stupid and selfish of me to stay.

It's not what Dad or Nat would have done.

I slip on my gloves and crawl down the side of the building until I reach his window. The light in his room is on like it always is these days.

I remember one of the nights after we made it back, Peter and I were curled up in the same bed, too scared to sleep or let the other go again. We had the light on, and he told me how the dark reminded him of when we died and the world went black and cold. So we shared my tiny bed and relished in the comfort of each other's presence since we couldn't go to sleep.

If I'm being honest with myself, I've barely slept on the nights without Peter.

Tears build in my eyes as I manipulate the shadows to quietly undo the latch before creeping in. His room is changed from how I remember from before this whole mess, but that's mostly because he had to move after the Blip and some things were lost during that time.

He lies sprawled across the bed, only half way covered by the blanket, with a tense look on his face. I lower my hood and take off my gloves and bottom half of my mask before sitting on the edge of his bed. My fingers brush some hair out of his face and smooth the wrinkles from his brow.

I try to memorize every little detail of him. Everything from the curve in his nose from when he broke it, the freckles on his face, how his hair always has those adorable curls, and all the other things I fell in love with. They're the things I want to remember while I'm gone.

He lets out a sigh in his sleep as my thumb brushes his cheek. It brings a small smile to my face as I try to hold back the tears. I press a gentle kiss to his forehead, which makes him stir and eyes groggily blink open. "Lia?" He asks in that sleepy voice that makes me melt from head to toe.

"Yeah, it's me." I whisper and keep running a hand through his hair. "I just needed to see you."

A small smile tugs at his lips as he takes my hand. "I missed you." The words are like a dagger to my heart. It's been a week since I 'left,' but tonight is when I truly disappear.

"I missed you too." I whisper back to him. "But I can't stay. I needed you to know though."

"Know what?"

"That no matter what they say, you know the truth—about who I am. People will say lies about me, but you can't believe them, Pete." I sigh and hold back the tears as I squeeze his hand, "Plus, there was no way I could let you forget that I meant every word I said on Titan and at the cabin. I love you so much, Peter Parker, and that's never going to change."

His confused expression softens as he sits up and cups my cheek in his hand. "I know, and I love you too, Lia Stark. Always have and always will."

I can't form any words, so instead, I lean forward and press a delicate kiss to his lips with all the emotion I have. It physically hurts when I have to pull away. Peter has a groggy smile on his face, and it's clear he's trying not to fall asleep as my thumb brushes his cheek. "Go back to sleep, darling. We'll see each other again before you know it."

"Promise?" He whispers as his eyes start to droop.

"I promise." I tell him and pray he can't hear the tears thickening my voice. "I'll always come back to you, love."

He's fast asleep within second, but I stay for another few minutes. This hurts so much worse than I thought it would, but it's partly why I saved this goodbye for last. Even though it's not truly a goodbye, it feels like I'm losing a part of myself.

"I've made the coding enhancement to his suit's AI as instructed." ARTI calls and jars me from my thoughts. "Happy also sent a message to inform you that the jet is waiting for you."

"Okay," I whisper and press one last kiss to Peter's cheek before climbing out and locking the window before disappearing into the night and from my old life.