The Realization

_____ frustratingly swept the long red carpet that she had stood on just the day before. Every sweep brought up more and more dirt and dust, and she could see that the carpet was actually much brighter in color than what she had originally thought. "I want a fucking vacuum," she mumbled through her teeth.

"Do speak up. I hate mumbling," the elven king said as he sat upon his impressive throne, turning the pages of his book. _____'s knuckles turned white as she gripped the broom, and she turned to face the king.

"I said that I want a fucking vacuum. I know that this is some medieval fantasy world, but this is ridiculous that there isn't some magic contraption to do this! Or at least some sort of technological advancement to make this somewhat easier. I've been doing this for nearly an hour and I've only gotten a quarter of this clean! When was the last time this was even swept?!" She complained. The man looked up pondered for a moment before answering.

"Never. And I did not ask you to complain to me. I don't care to listen to your woes." _____ opened her mouth to respond, but quickly shut it and violently swept the rug, causing debris to cloud around her. Her face began to turn red and hot tears began to trail down her cheeks. I hope he gets a paper cut from that stupid fucking book and dies, she thought.

After about an hour, the king glanced up at the girl, who was now at the middle of the carpet. A smile snuck onto his face as he watched her frustratingly do her task. For a moment, he remembered the only other woman in his past that he had taken into his castle as a servant, who then became his lover. In all honesty, he could have his minions do all of these tasks for him, or even do them himself with the help of magic, but he wanted someone he could talk to in the castle with him. It had been so long since he was able to have a civil conversation with. "What do you call yourself?" He asked. ­_____ paused for a moment before looking up at him with her red eyes and cheeks. "Are you really crying?" The king couldn't help but laugh at the sight. "I haven't even done anything to you yet. What, is this task too hard for your delicate body?" _____ took a deep breath to calm herself before answering.

"_____. My name is _____. What's yours?" The king looked at her with a surprised expression.

"Why do you want to know my name?"

"Because you asked me what mine was. It's only fair that I know yours."

"I'm the King and that's all you need to know," he said as he closed his book.

"Well, can you at least tell me what you're king of? What is this place even called?"

"This land was once part of a kingdom called Hyrule. Now it's simply known as The Lost Lands to most, but I like to call it Keir. This is my domain, and mine alone."

"Wait, Hyrule? That-" _____'s jaw dropped as she put everything together. The monsters. The magic. The castle. The man. "You... you're Dark Link. Those monsters don't just look like the monsters from the games, they are the monsters! And this whole place is... real?" She marveled, looking around the grand hall once more. However, this time she noticed intricate designs in the stained glass above. With the hero, the princess, and the evil that was known as Ganon. In the middle of it all was the Triforce and the Master Sword. The history of the land was in the colorful glass the whole time and she didn't even notice. "All these years wishing it was real... and it was. It was real the whole time," she whispered.

"How do you know all of this? And what games are you speaking of?" Dark Link said, standing from his throne and slowly making his way over to the girl.

"This world is a game! I played it all the time when I was back home. Link, Ganon, Zelda, and you! You all don't exist in that world. I never thought that different realities like this existed... That means there's a multiverse of everything!" _____ chirped.

"A game?" He asked, towering over her. She cowered a bit and looked down at the floor.

"Yes, a game. A video game where the player gets to play as Link. There are so many games that cover all of his lifetimes. Every time he's defeated Ganondorf with the Master Sword and brought peace to Hyrule is documented in those games."

"And what of me? Am I mentioned in these chronicles?" He asked, circling around _____ as if she was prey. His eyes bore a hole into her soul, and his curiosity piqued at the thought of another world knowing the deep history of these lands.

"Yes, but only slightly," she answered cautiously. "You're just known as Link's shadow, an-" He quickly grabbed her wrist with all his might. _____ squeaked in pain, but the man was relentless.

"That's all?!" He growled. "I am not just his shadow. Look at what I've built. A kingdom. He has never ruled in all his lifetimes, while I am here sat on the throne. I have been for nearly one hundred years. Who do you think causes all the chaos until Ganon is reborn? Do you truly think there is peace?! Your trivial games know nothing of the reality of this world. I will not be told what I am by the likes of a poor, broken woman like you," he spat, a sinister smiled plastered on his face. "Here, you are nothing. You will always be nothing, I assure you." Once again, tears began to spill out of _____'s eyes as she looked into his, determined to not be afraid. The only thing she could think of saying was not something cruel, but something that would be more painful for the king to think about.

"You were always one of my favorites..." She choked out. Dark Link's smile fell and his grip weakened.

"What?" He asked in disbelief.

"You heard what I said... But seeing how you treat me makes my whole opinion of you change. You're abusive, and you like pain. I knew you weren't the hero of this story, but I never thought you could as cruel as the villain. You're nothing like I thought you would ever be." Those words stung him for some reason, and he felt a burning in his chest. His mind clouded as his fury and hate turned into confusion and discomfort. These feelings were ones he was not familiar with. His eyes darted around the room, as if he was looking for an insult to throw at her.

"W-well, you're just a slave! Why should I care what you think of me?" Was the only thing he could say.

"I'm not saying that you should."

"Then why say those things to me? If you're trying to hurt my feelings, it won't work," he lied. He could already feel the impact of those words on his mind.

"I said them because it's how I feel! Am I not allowed to do even that?!"

"NO!" He shouted, his voice echoing off of the walls of the hall. The pair stood frozen, just inches from each other. It felt as if time had stopped, but both their minds raced with things to say. "You are not. And I will not listen to them. You will return to your chambers and only come out when summoned. You will not speak unless spoken to," he ordered coldly. _____ looked at him in disbelief, but eventually composed herself enough to look into his crimson eyes with a hate filled gaze.

"Yes, My King," she hissed.

---------------

Hey, hey! I know it's been a while. Life has been hard, lol. But let me know what you think of this chapter! I think it turned out pretty alright, despite being a slower chapter. 

Let me know what you'd like to see, and if there's any way I can improve the story! Constructive criticism is welcome!

Anyways, if you haven't already, please vote for this part and maybe even share with your friends! It really helps me out! <3