The Warmth

­The pitter-patter of rain on the stone balcony welcomed _____ into the waking world. Deep thunder in the distance rolled across the hills and planes into the castle, and the young woman slowly began to awaken. She groaned a bit before turning to lay flat on her back to stare at the ceiling. There was an ache to her body, and her eyes felt like they had just been dunked in the ocean. "Oh, Jesus Christ," she mumbled, rubbing them. Wait... how did I get in bed? And why am I tucked in? She looked around for a moment and noticed that her balcony door was closed. She shivered at the thought of a bokoblin putting her to bed. Would he have done it? No... no, he's not that nice. _____ stretched and rolled out of bed, unsure of what to do. I guess I'll grab something to eat.

The woman sat up and stretched her sore muscles before making her way to the wardrobe. Her fingertips gently tickled each piece of soft fabric, searching for the most comfortable item. Eventually they stopped at a green dress. It was long, simple, and light in color. When she looked at it, she thought of spring. Beautiful silver flowers were embroidered onto it, and as _____ looked closer, she realized that they moved slightly, blooming and swaying across the fabric. At the hem and sleeves of the dress, intricate magical lace with the same moving flowers grew upwards, as if it wanted to engulf the rest of the fabric. This is the most beautiful dress I've ever seen... She thought. She gently slid off the plain, tattered clothes she had been given before and slipped the dress over her shoulders. It hugged her perfectly at every corner of her body.

_____ closed her eyes and went over to the large mirror on the other side of the room, and when she opened them, she was met with what looked like a princess. "Oh, wow!" She exclaimed, twirling to see how the fabric moved. For a few moments, she twirled and danced around like a little girl playing pretend. She pinned her hair up, exposing her neck. "Mister Darcy," she curtsied to herself, pretending to be Jane Austen's character, Elizabeth Bennet. "You are the last person on earth I would ever be prevailed to marry!" She quoted dramatically, laughing at herself afterwards. For the first time since arriving to this cursed castle, she felt a bit joyous.

After finishing up playing pretend and admiring herself, she went down to the kitchen in an attempt to find something edible. When she entered, she saw a mess of food everywhere and a bokoblin wearing a chef's hat. It snorted and grunted in frustration as it moved around, clumsily throwing pots and pans into the sink. "Um... excuse me?" The creature turned to her and waddled over to her, bowing. "O-oh, please don't do that. Uh... I'm just wondering if there's anything I could get to eat?"

The bokoblin rushed over to a cabinet and grabbed a beautifully decorated porcelain plate, placed it in the oven, and tapped on it with his giant wooden spoon. The oven shook and made clattering sounds for a moment before falling silent. The bokoblin reached in and pulled out a plate with a hot, delicious meal of roasted chicken, potatoes, bread, and carrots. _____'s mouth watered, and she gratefully accepted the food from the monster. "Thank you... this looks delicious!" She smiled, "Compliments to the chef. Do you have a name?" The creature shook its head. "How about I give you one then? How does Gordon sound? Since you're clearly a wonderful chef." The eyes of newly named Gordon brightened, and he nodded in agreement. "Gordon it is. Very nice to officially meet you."

As she looked at Gordon more closely, she realized that he had a strange charm to him, like a pug. He ushered her to a door and poked his head out, grunted and snorted at something, and then looked back at her. "What? I'm sorry, I don't know what you're saying..."

"Hurry and come here if you want to eat something other than moldy bread. This bokoblin likes to throw fits when his food isn't being enjoyed," a voice from the other side of the door said. It was very clearly the elven king, and he did not sound amused at all. _____ took a deep breath and looked into the room. It was a large dining room with a single, small table that sat four at most in the middle. There the king sat, eating his meal while he read. _____ went in, but stayed near the door, as she was afraid that sitting across from him would anger him. Without looking up from his book, he snapped his fingers and _____ was sat across from him.