Chapter 5

friskriel thanks for being a sweet reader
Picture of Makayla's eyes above

***

Myles.

The hell? How did she know my name! I asked her again only for her to tell me to ask my dad. What has dad got to do with this? First, extra sheets, the latest G-wagon, black girl with red-orange-yellow eyes, ha!"

I knew I had seen those pretty eyes somewhere before but I can't recall where.

All these run through my mind while in detention. She had gotten away with this just like every time. After 30 minutes of detention and boredom, I left the class as if a teacher wasn't around.

Miss Stevens, the twenty five year old teacher who's face served as a market for the display of different brands of make-ups rose her head and watched as I walked away.

"You will have to compensate me for that Roy." She said and I knew what she was talking about.

I drove to my dad's workplace.

I reached the Black Organization's headquarters trying to carefully park in the parking lot with numerous cars. You should have guessed already what it meant. The Black Organization is a huge billion dollar empire with countless businesses hence the name organization.

My dad was the right hand man of the owner, Dwayne Arthur. They've been close friends for a long time which makes people confuse because of the racial differences.

I took the elevator to the 173rd floor which are meant for the executives only not missing the flirtatious look the women gave me. I flashed them my charm which one of them drooled on the floor the same moment she saw it. Ha! That's gonna be Kayla's reaction one day.

I opened my dad's office door and he said, "My Glover will never knock, Even if I were the ruler of the universe," without turning because he was facing the glass window and oh, every part in the building is made of glass.

It's really bad of me not to knock but who cares?

"Dad, how did a certain Makayla Arthur know about the Jimmy Glover?"

"Why are you asking me?"

"She told me to ask you".

"What does she look like?"

Pfft a human being of course.

"She's black, she's got red, orange and yellow pupils–"

"Is she like that?" He cuts me off and points to a picture hanging above the entrance.

My heart leapt at the sight.

There was young and cute Kayla, about 5 years old beaming with smiles like she ruled the world, holding both Mr. Arthur and Mrs Arthur's hand in her left and right little hands. There, it hits me, she's the daughter of the billionaire.

The sparkle in her eyes made me wonder what had gone so wrong for it to disappear when I took off her hoodie. I felt sad.

"Remember her?" I shook my head no. "Kayla, that's the name you used to call her."

"I have no idea about what you're saying dad."

"Remember the Rose room catastrophe, the fall from the fountain, saying, "get well soon my Kayla", and–"

"Ted Bundy, the name she gave to me". I continued with a sigh.

Suddenly, the memories from 10 years ago began flooding my mind. My Kayla

My first meeting with her, her dad had organized a party as a result of my dad's new promotion which I was invited to. Being the only kid there, I was bored with adult chatter and wine drinking so and I had decided to roam about the huge building and get lost so that daddy gets worried about me. Thinking about it right now makes me realize how childish I was. Hey you can't judge me, I was only 7.

I walked around the mansion and was getting tired already because the hallways were long. I opened a door to a room with 5 doors in it. On top of the entrance was The Rose Room.

First door were full of champagne and wine bottles. I closed it. And moved to the next room which was full of spare electrical appliances. Man, they were rich, lol.

Boooooooring, I opened the third and middle door but the room's lights were out. I opened the door wider to let light through so that I can find the switch. The shadows in the room had box shapes so I had decided to close it and move to the next room.

Before leaving, I gave a quick glance around the room only to meet the strangest pair of eyes staring at me. The shadow was a girl. I turned pale. I screamed silently but was amazed how two balls had the color of my favorite animal. Phoenix.

Trying to be brave, I wanted to touch it so I moved forward stretching my hand but the little creature was scared and kicked a jar full of marbles on the floor. Too late, I slipped. In the process of getting my hold on something so that I don't get hurt badly, I pulled a wire which was connected to a whole lot of things but the source was directly above the girl.

Then there came wham! And a yell accompanied by wailing. In less than two seconds, a couple of feet came rushing through the door and in a split the lights were on. I sheltered my eyes from the sharp light but strained them to see the girl in her dad's arms. She was a daddy's flower the same way I was to my mom.

"MYLES !!!" Dad shouted. "No video games for a week". I didn't care about the games for the first time. All I said was,"Is she going to be okay?" She was unconscious and there was blood everywhere.

"Don't worry boy, Makayla will get the best medical attention." Her dad said.

Her name is Makayla.

"Come on Jimmy, let's go." I was pulled away by my dad.

My second meeting was when I requested to visit her two days after the incident. I went up to her room myself since no one was around to tell me to wait.

Immediately she saw me, she run to hide behind the curtains. I didn't miss the bandage on her head. I called out her name but she didn't come out. I needed to distract her. I remember dad telling to be like Makayla. That is, to like reading so I walked to her study table and started flipping the pages though I had no idea what was written inside because the words were too big for me.

She immediately run forward and snatched the heavy book from my grasp. "Hey, I won't hurt your book."I smiled at her and she immediately smiled back.

"Will you be my friend?" I asked

"Yes, Ted Bundy." That was the sweetest voice I had ever heard.

"Who's Ted?" I asked, confused.

"A serial killer." She beamed like she had won a trophy.

"But it has nothing to do with me." I said as she beamed wider.

"You nearly killed me".

"It was an accident". I said, sadly. "I'm sorry Makayla". I added.
She threw a pillow at me shouting, come and catch me, Ted.