-The Beginning-

A/n: some physical features will be given because you're Zoya's twin (not identical)

An odd pair were The Nazyalensky Twins. One with blue eyes and one with brown. One storm and the other water. One witty and harsh, and the other sarcastic and loving. But both equally as terrifying.

Zoya and (Y/n) have different ways of coping with the past. Because of her blue eyes, Zoya was considered to be more attractive as a child, (though they're twins), that led to her being picked and favoured for everything. The only person who treated both twins equally was their aunt Liliyana . But sadly, that ment Zoya would be the one to be married off at an early age. (Y/n) on the other hand just wanted to be accepted, she was constantly shunned upon by her mother because she wasn't born with blue eyes (which is a horrible reason), constantly reminded that she wasn't as attractive as her sister. Zoya made sure that those comments didn't get to her head too much, she was a great sister, always reminding her that she's worth everything and that she is in fact, a beautiful girl. They grounded each other, they were everything to each other, nothing in the world could keep them apart.

Well, that was at least until the wedding, where their mother was going to marry Zoya off to the highest bidder, and add (Y/n) as an early gift. They were both terrified of what was to come, until Zoya blasted the old man off his feet while (Y/n) froze him in place. The twins where both surprised by their powers, and were brought to Little Palace to train.

Everyone knew that Zoya was a great, if not the greatest squaller, but (Y/n) was different. As a normal tidemaker should, she controls water, but not like others. Where they need the source, her water appears out of air moisture, plants, even humans. Being able to take control of someone's body was definitely not a normal thing for Tidemakers, some people often mistook her as a Heartrender, but that was one of many things that set her above the Tidemakers and even Heartrenders. As a cause of her unique abilities, she grew up as a favourite around Little Palace, particularly a favourite of The Darkling. This opened up opportunities for her, she worked thrice as hard, while training to be a Tidemaker, and she learned about the body. Where the water (or other fluids) flowed, how to control the water in a cell to make them move, how to change the chemical reactions in someone's brain, even how to make a living vessel's heart stop beating.

When she turned 14, (Y/n) Nazyalensky was considered one of the most deadly Grishas alive. She became one of the best students at Little Palace, and many valued her opinion, whether it was how to fix their fighting stance, or how to deal with anything at all, (Y/n) was quite popular around Little Palace. Compared to her twin, she's on the nicer side. Caring, but defensive if you harm her or her friends, a delight to be around, unless you give her a reason not to be. Everyone sees a different side of (Y/n). You could learn that you're her rival from just talking to her a couple of times, but you could become her best friend from one conversation, you never know how she'll react to you.

(Y/n) had many friends but she met her first best friend a little after she arrived at Little Palace. She and Zoya had been separated and put into different classes, and that meant no one would favour her sister over her right then.

As she walked into class and sat down onto one of the desks an girl with butter blond hair and as ecstatic smile plopped down beside her,

"Hi, my name is Leylah and we're going to be friends now!" She said, putting out her hand to shake,

"Ok! I'm (Y/n)," she replies shaking her hand. The two girls became friends very quickly, both being always completely honest with each other, and embracing their wild side, Leylah would certainly be one of (Y/n)'s best friends till the end of the line.

(Y/n) had made another best friend around 11 years old,

When it was recess, she had decided to go explore different parts of the forest she had not been to yet. While she was making her way through the woods she felt something hit her head, it was a sick that had fallen. As she looked up to see what had caused the stick to fall she saw a little boy with golden hair and hazel eyes struck in the tree, he's awfully pretty, she thought to herself.

"Hello, are you ok?" She asked, as she watched the blond haired boy struggle to find a way down from the tree.

"Yes, yes, I'm perfectly fine." He responded, trying not to fall out,

"Well you don't look fine," she stated, "do you need help getting down?"

"That would be lovely," He replied, "but what would you be able to do, you're just a little girl, and from that looks of it, only a Tidemaker." He replied, but as soon as those words left his mouth, he knew he was in deep shit.

"What did you say?" She asked, eyes narrowed, "Girls can do as much as the male species can." She said as she bent the branches and trunk of the tree, using the water present in the tree. "And Tidemaker can do just as much, if not more then most Grishas." (Y/n) used her powers to bring the branch that the little boy was on closer to the floor, and she may, or may have not pushed him off balance, causing him to fall. After she made sure that he wasn't injured (that much), the little girl started to walk away,

"Wait! Wait!" Called the boy, hearing his footsteps behind her, she stopped and turned around to face him,

"What do you want?" She asked seething, he audibly swallowed at the sight of the beautiful girl with (h/c) hair and brown eyes. Which in fact looked like they could kill him on the spot without hesitation.

"I never got your name."

"I never gave it." She snapped, crossing her arms.

"I understand that I have offended you," he said, bowing his head slightly, "my apologies, I've never met another kid, or girl my age, I don't quite understand what to say around them... I'm sorry." The girl's eyes softened at the statement,

"Well, apology accepted..."

"Nikolai, my name is Nikolai."

"Apology accepted Nikolai, my name is (Y/n)."

After that encounter, their friendship started to grow. Eventually she found out he was a prince, and he found out that she was similar to a Heartrender. They met almost everyday at the same tree where she found him, and talked about everything. What their lessons were, what happened that day, anything. As they got older, their feelings towards each other grew as well, and a year later they both had fallen for each other. But as the years came and left, the boy got way busier, being a prince and all. What used to be meetings every day turned into once a week, to every month, until he didn't have time to see her. Eventually, they both thought the other had forgotten about them, and were too scared to seek them out. While Nikolai was off somewhere (Y/n) dedicated her time to her work, and eventually she got promoted to work in The Darkling's personal guard. But some nights, they both fall asleep, thinking of how it would have gone if they were just a simple boy and girl, hopelessly in love.

__________________________________________

(Word count 1297)

remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed the story!

-Nika