four

It all started when Camilla kissed me. We became closer. I don't know what to call what we were doing. It wasn't particularly romantic but it was out of the ordinary.

We'd have sleepovers at my place sometimes. Other times I'd go to where the twins lived. I quickly found out Richard is closest to them considering how often I ran into him at the twins' shared place. However, one day I showed up and Camilla had asked Richard to cancel for her. Something about an assignment she had to talk to Julian about.

When I showed, Charles seemed angry. I haven't talked to him much before but he insisted we have a talk even though Camilla wasn't coming.

I agreed even though the atmosphere felt very interrogative. The kettle was already hot so he poured me tea, early gray is what I drink when I come here.

"What is going on between you and my sister?" My eyebrows furrow. "I don't know what you mean. We've become friends I guess." I see his anger building. This surprised me as Charles is normally calm, reserved even.

"I saw you two kiss." My blood runs cold. "Charles, I promise it isn't anything romantic." His eyes bore into mine. "Then what the hell do I call it? I've seen it three times now so do not tell me it was in the heat of the moment." I wonder how long he's kept this to himself and deny his accusation.

"But that's exactly it, there was no heat there is no heat. They're much like an affirmation."

"Of what?"

"Friendship."

"Bullshit!" He yells and slams a fist on the table. This causes my tea to spill and hot, nearly boiling water spills onto my arm. Suddenly I'm gasping in pain and tears well in my eyes. "Shit." Charles swears and is up quickly, getting a towel to wrap it in ice and run it under cold water.

"I didn't mean to. You know that right? Don't-- don't mention this to Camilla okay? Or anyone." He's at my side and numbing my arm. I stare hollowly at him and nod. Why? I don't know. I want to tell myself it's because I don't want Camilla or Richard to feel responsible but deep down I know I don't want to be alone again. I spent so long being alone, to have a taste of being included is euphoric. But every drug has a downside, so I endure.

"Do you believe me?" I ask. He nods curtly. "I believe you. I should have remembered who I'm talking to. It's not like you're Henry." I look at him in confusion but feel my arm pulsate and another tear leaks out of my eye. "Shit."

"You swear a lot." I grit out and glance at my arm. Little blisters are littering my skin and I suck in harshly. "I should be fine. I just need gauze."

The door opens and to reveal Francis who looks like he's just entered a murder scene. "What is going on right now?" He questions while slowly walking towards us. "Listen, I screwed up. Just go get bandages from the bathroom, would you? And lock the door!" Francis grumbles but follows his orders nonetheless.

Francis wraps me up because he has a steadier hand. "You're an ass Charles." I stay quiet, they continue to talk as if I'm not there. "Richard is going to be angry." Charles turns to him sharply. "Richard isn't going to know anything."

Francis looks torn and I weigh in. "I- I don't want to worry him." Francis sucks a breath in. "Okay. This stays between us."

"You and I are going to the countryside this weekend. No one else. He turns to Charles. "If anyone asks, she wanted peace and quiet to do her last revisions and I got sick of seeing you every day." Charles protests. "This is too much. She can just say it happened while she was making tea."

Francis rubs his face and sighs. "Have you ever hear her tell a convincing lie? Listen we're doing this to save your ass so cooperation would be in your best interest." Charles huffs but agrees.