Imagine #13 (Emily Prentiss)

Imagine telling Emily you're pregnant

It was supposed to be your day off, just you and Emily

It was supposed to be your day off, just you and Emily. One day as a normal married couple. Not two FBI profiles who barely had a social life.
Unfortunately, the day off was short-lived when 6 am rolled around, and both phones started ringing.
You couldn't help but groan as Emily stirred beside you, tangling her body further with yours. You kissed her shoulder whispering a "sorry" on her skin before untangling yourself.
There was no way out of it, so you picked up the phone and cursed everything when Hotch's voice came through. 
The two of you couldn't hide your disappointment as you grabbed your go-bags and headed over to work.
You were the last two to arrive.
Hotch briefed you all when you got on the plane, mentioning Texas and 5 bodies, but that's all you caught. You could hardly hear over the sound of your stomach beginning to reject the Chinese you eat for dinner last night.
————————————————————————
Taking a deep breath you closed your eyes, praying you could keep the food down. If you couldn't, you'd cause a scene. Even if Emily was the only one who didn't know.
You could feel her eyes on you, so you gave a small smile. Hopefully, you just seemed tired. It was 7 am after all.
She gave your hand a small squeeze.
Images of a month ago played in your mind.
After missing your period again, you had to face the hunch you'd had for a few weeks now. You took the test. You were more than surprised to see it was positive.
How could you not be surprised?
Weeks before that you'd gone to a fertility doctor and decided on a sperm donor. Emily was on a case and couldn't come, but had confided in you before she left she'd rather you carry the baby, and you happily agreed.
Unfortunately, at the doctor's they informed you that your fertility was lower than average. Therefore, you were more at risk for miscarriages and less likely to conceive.
The doctor made it clear that it still wasn't impossible to have kids, just more difficult. 
You were extremely discouraged by the news, worried you were ruining your future with Emily. 
They told you not to get discouraged, it rarely happened the first time for anyone anyway, and there was still a chance you could get pregnant.
You went home that day, defeated, feeling hopeless and lonely, but you didn't tell Emily about your low fertility, afraid you'd upset her.
But nowhere you were. A positive pregnancy test in hand. You couldn't wrap your head around how it was possible.
Excitement bubbled in your chest at the thought of telling Emily the news. But with the doctor's words echoing in your head, more likely to miscarry, your excitement quickly disappeared.
You knew Emily would be thrilled. She had told you on more than one occasion how excited she was to start a family.
Still, the fear of losing this child and disappointing Emily was so deep you just couldn't tell her.
Not then at least.
Your eyes shot open. The churning of your stomach only seemed to worsen as you got higher in the air.
You swallowed hard, trying to focus on Rossi's story, but you only caught bits and pieces. Your spotty vision could make out smiles, so you smiled too.
You just hoped your face wasn't as pale as it felt. Convincing a plane of profilers you were fine wasn't easy, and the look JJ shot you every few seconds was her way of asking, "how are you feeling?" Which you knew she knew the answer to.
She had been the only person you'd confided in, considering she had gone through it all before.
You had a sneaking suspicion they all knew though. Spencer had started giving random pregnancy facts, which earned him a death glare every time. Derek started calling you mama more, with too much emphasis on the word. Hotch gave you a meaningful look every time you rushed past him to the bathroom in the early morning, and you weren't entirely convinced Rossi didn't know before you, somehow. The only other person besides Emily who didn't know was Penelope, which you were sure of. If Penelope knew then the whole FBI would know.
The smell of bacon hit your nose causing your stomach to somersault. You glared at Derek, who was just about to take a bite of his bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, but one look at you and he decided against it, putting it away.
You swallowed hard again, trying to push back the vomit creeping up your throat.
"You okay (Y/n)? You look a little pale." Emily whispered in your ear, forcing you to stop concentrating on not puking.
You gave a weak smile, nodding your head.
"I don't believe you." Her eyebrows had creased together.
"Em, I'm-" Talking had been a big mistake.
You jumped up from the seat. All eyes were on you, 5 looks of pity, and one of concern, but you didn't care. You knew there was no chance of you pushing the vomit down.
Your shaky legs bolted to the bathroom, barely closing the door before you spilled your guts. It was a relief to finally get it all out.
You slumped against the toilet. Any other time you would've been grossed out by your face touching the toilet seat, but it was cooling your sweaty face.
You didn't realize you were crying at first. Not until you lifted your heavy head off the toilet seat and felt the cool drops of water slipping down your face.
What was wrong with you?
You were pregnant your first time trying; after being told you'd have trouble, living the dreams of thousands of women in the same situation.
Why weren't you glowing? Why couldn't you just tell Emily, she'd be ecstatic?
"(Y/n), sweetheart," you jumped at the sound of Emily's voice.
Didn't you lock that door? How long had she been standing there?
"Hey Em," you gave a half-hearted smile, but it was pointless. You hadn't bothered to wipe the tears.
She closed the door behind her. It locked for real this time with a click.
The small bathroom left little room for the two of you, and when Emily slid down beside you your knees knocked together.
"You're scaring me (Y/n)," she placed a soft kiss on your head. "All of the throwing up, and mood swings. You've been so antsy recently.
So she had noticed. "I'm sorry," you said, followed by more tears. "I promise I'm not sick or anything."
"I know."
"So why are you scared." You fidgeted with your fingers, nervous about the direction of this conversation.
"Because my wife has been pregnant for a month and is too afraid to tell me. And I can't for the life of me figure out why she'd keep that from me."
Your head whipped towards hers so fast you almost smashed it right into her forehead. "Y-you knew the whole time," you gulped.
"Of course I did!" She exclaimed. "First of all I'm a profiler it's my job to notice. Second of all, you're my wife, I love you. It's my job to notice.
Your cheeks flushed crimson. The whole time you thought you were fooling her, you were just fooling yourself.
"So...do you care to explain why you didn't tell me. Did you not want to tell me," her voice cracked, but she cleared her throat quickly to cover it.
You guiltily chewed on your lip. Emily had known for a month and probably wondered every day why her wife couldn't tell her such exciting news.
"No, no of course not," you squeaked.
"(Y/n), angel, please. What is it? Why couldn't you tell me?"
You took a deep breath. "When I went to the fertility clinic the doctor told me my fertility was a little below average. There's a chance I could have a miscarriage," you sobbed.
Emily turned her body so the two of you were somehow closer. "Shhh, it's okay. You're okay," she said, pressing you to her body.
"I'm sorry. I want this for us. I want to be happy, but I'm just so scared I'll mess this up."
"Look at me (Y/n). You're not going to mess anything up. Women miscarry all the time. For some awful reason, it's part of life. It's nobody's fault."
Emily wiped a tear off your cheek. You didn't say anything, just watched her.
"Don't profile me," a crooked smile found her lips.
You smiled back. "I wasn't."
"Listen, I know you're scared. I am too, but we have to take it a day at a time. Right now there's a miracle growing inside you. Our miracle." Her eyes flicked to your stomach, and for the first time since you found out, you were pregnant excitement bubbled in your chest again. "If we worry about the what if's we won't have time to focus on the what is." This time she placed her hand on your flat stomach.
You smiled, wide.
"See. There's already a motherly glow about you."
The more Emily said the more the worry began to fade, excitement replacing it.
You were gonna start a family.
"Em."
"Yeah."
"I have to tell you something."
"Yeah."
"I'm pregnant, it's yours." She nudged you playful, even she had a motherly glow about her right now.
"What! You're just telling me now," she teased.
You smiled.
"I'm truly sorry I didn't tell you sooner," you mumbled, placing your hand over Emily's, which was still on your stomach.
"Well, I know now, and you've officially made me the happiest woman alive." She placed a sweet kiss on your lips. "Thank you (Y/n)."
"We're going to be parents!"
"The best parents!" Emily added. "We are, aren't we."
"Now come on, they'll think we've fallen into the toilet by this time."
You laughed. "We can't have that."
Emily stood up, offering her hand, which you took happily.
She placed one last kiss on your lips, then grabbed your hand before you open the door. You always stayed professional at work.
When you opened the door Derek almost fell on top of you. "Hey Mamas," he said, a shit-eating grin taking over his face.
"We're you guys spying?" You asked.
Emily chuckled, squeezed your hand, and headed back to her seat.
Nobody answered.
Spencer was looking anywhere but you, JJ was pretending to get a bag of Cheetos, and Rossi and Derek were smiling shamelessly.
"At least Hotch isn't a snoop," you noted.  Your boss was still in his chair doing paperwork.
You shoved Derek playfully and headed back to your seat next to Emily. She automatically reached for your hand.
"Actually, Spencer objected, Hotch listened at the door with us for 5 min and 23 seconds before saying, 'We shouldn't be listening to this."
Hotch didn't even look up from his paperwork, but a rare smile was playing at his lips. "We shouldn't have been. But congratulations you two."
"Thank you!" You and Emily said in unison.
It wasn't brought up the rest of the flight but you could feel the air of excitement and relief nonetheless.
The rest of the flight was filled with little conversation and file reviewing.
Every so often you'd look over at Emily, who was looking out the window, a big grin plastered on her face, her hand on your stomach.