The Test of Time - Chapter (65-June)

65 ~ June

Walking into the Crystler Hotel, I take a deep breath, holding my dress off the floor with one hand, purse in the other. Last time I came to one of these I was terrified, my hands gripped by a handsome date.

Today, I enter alone, an independent woman who's beginning her new internship. I have to make a good impression, have to show them I'm a willing employee. This is my chance to show them I'm serious about the job, that they were right to choose me. I have an opportunity here, and I'm not going to waste it.

Walking into the Gala I gaze around at the deep purple decor, the banner hanging from the ceiling, the tables covered with burgundy, pale pink flowers in the center.

Taking a step further into the room I glance around quickly at the groups of people that have collected in various clusters, desperately looking for one of my colleagues.

"Savannah?" The familiar voice calls out and I whirl around to face him, already having mentally prepared myself for this.

"Brett." I smile in response as his eyes glance over me. I fight to keep my eyes on his face, not letting my gaze trail down his impeccably dressed body.

"You look gorgeous," he replies, smiling as his gaze arrives back at my eyes.

"Thank you," I tell him. "You don't look bad yourself."

"Absolutely stunning." He comments under his breath and I take a step back, glancing around him and spotting Mr Elidees across the room.

"If you'll excuse me." I smile at him, anxious to get away from his entrancing comments. He nods at me slightly and I turn away, quickly walking towards my Boss, a slight smile on my face.

"Savannah." Mr Elidees greets.

"Mr Elidees." I reply before shooting a smile to the two men stood with him.

"This is Oliver Cristanos and Robert Smith." He introduces, gesturing at them.

"It's nice to meet you." I smile.

"I remember you! You came to the Belmont's Golden Gala in April." The guy on the right and I suddenly remember him as Brett's Dad's friend. I shoot him a grin and nod.

"You've been to these before?" Mr Elidees asks, curious.

"Only once," I confirm.

"She came with the Winters family." Oliver inputs.

"Oh yes, I heard you had a history with them." Mr Elidees nods.

"Pardon?" I blurt out, eyes wide as I glance back at him.

"They gave us a reference when you applied." He smiles. "Brett Winters to be exact. He was very persuasive."

"Brett?"