A Dangerous Union - Chapter

A Dangerous Union

By

Belle Dowson

Chapter One

Olivia

I was used to loneliness now. I had been homeless for months, no way of getting a job or paying for anything. Towns, villages, jobs and people had been wiped out. I had survived. The war between nations was over and now the rich prospered and the poor had to struggle on.

Food banks were full, soup kitchens had little to offer and begging didn't get you far. There was one thing I could do, something my Nana would have died if she knew what I had to do.

I stood and waited for a car, a car with hopefully a wealthy man who would offer me money for one night, or maybe they wouldn't want me for the whole night. It was dirty work, it was seedy but it was all I had left. Nothing else to sell.

The street was cold as I leaned against the window of the adult film store, which was one of the only places open in this town, I waited. Thankfully, Hazel, a girl I knew had been kind enough to let me shower and get myself looking less like I had some disease.

The light breeze was causing my copper coloured hair to move and flow effortlessly with it. I felt my chapped lips were visible under the bright red lipstick that I had borrowed and I knew the sparkle I once had in my green eyes was long gone.

The dress I wore was a deep blue satin number, something else Hazel had loaned me. The spaghetti straps did little to warm me, neither did the fact the dress came to the top of my thighs.

I watched as cars passed me by, I watched other girls get in and out of cars I stood and waited for my turn as much as I hated it, I had to. Or I starved.

"Hello?" I looked at an elegant sports car that pulled up, I walked seductively towards the car. The driver was a woman with dark hair and a dark complexion.

"I charge double for women." I confessed as I walked towards the clearly well off lady and her brand new car.

"What's your name?" The woman asked me.

"Are you a cop, because if you are my name is Jane Doe." I stepped back a little not trusting this woman, she laughed a little.

"Oh sweetie I'm not a cop. I'm Lyra, Lyra Smyth and I have a proposition for you."

"Go on." I never stepped closer to her instead I remained my safe distance from her just in case I think I could outrun her, easily.

"My husband has a place, a safe place for people like you. He wants to look after people who need to be looked after. Us women are treated like goddesses, look at the car I drive." The woman gestured to her very nice car.

"What kind of place?" I asked if I didn't trust anyone who promised a happy ever after.

"Well, it is safe and away from the hardship you are living now. The men work for the company my husband runs and us women, well we reap the rewards of the men." She explained.