Chapter 2 (VERY SHORT)

Philippa's POV

I was sitting the grass, braiding Talulah's hair. Helena was playing tag with Adeliza and Cecelia. Skye was picking berries. Oscar was with Isla, and they were talking. Morris was sitting next to Oscar, leaning against him, half asleep. "Why doesn't Morris talk?" Talulah asks. Oscar sighed. "Our father would beat us a lot. Before he abandoned us, he almost killed us both. Morris barely talks anymore."

"That's awful, I'm sorry." Isla says. "It's okay." Oscar says. Talulah gave Morris a sudden hug. He looks startled by it, flinching slightly when she touches him. She backed away. "Sorry." Morris shrugged. We heard one of the workers calling us, and made our way back to the orphanage. It was time for dinner. We had steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes. I ate quickly, and we headed to the showers. I took a quick shower, and slipped my clothes back on.

We were allowed to do whatever we wanted for a few hours before bed, but we weren't allowed to go outside. I sat in the small library with Helena, and a few other kids. We sat there reading for a few hours, and then it was bedtime. I sat in my bed, reading a letter I'd gotten from Davey today. His father had gotten a new job at a factory, so his family would hopefully be making a little more money. I smiled, and tucked it away in my box of letters. I blew out my candle, and went to sleep.

This was a short chapter I know, but I promise the chapters will get longer. Sorry for the short chapter.