Best Friends

Shawn was the son of my parent’s bestfriends, so I knew him since ages now, and we were really close. I was seeing him after school sometimes, but mostly every week end. We weren’t going at the same school but we were neighbours. Actually, our bedrooms both had balconies in front of eachother, so before sleeping, we used to sit and talk for hours. He was my bestfriend but the only problem was that we weren’t going at the same school. But this year, I’d become a sophomore and I’d finally go at the same highschool as him, so I could see him everyday! I was so excited about it, there would be at least one person I could hang out with and be supported by if I didn’t have any friends. Well, that’s only what I thought..

~I suggest here you play 'A thousand years' by Christina Perri~

On the first day of school’s morning, I prepared myself and then went on my balcony to see if Shawn was awake. He was sleeping on his stomach, shirtless, the blanket almost on the floor, and the window of his balcony was half opened. I laughed, he was so cute, and then said:
- Shawn, wake up, it’s the first day of school, we shouldn’t be late!
He was deeply sleeping so he didn’t hear me.
- Shawn. Shawn. Shaaawn. SHAWN.
He didn’t even move. I fastly looked around me, took a volley ball and threw it right on his head. Finally, he moved a little, mumbling in his sleep.
- Shawn, it’s time to wake up.
Eyes middle-opened and eyebrows frowning, he replied:
- (y/n) ? What time is it ?
- 7:15 a.m, wake up or you’ll be late!
- Alright..
He sat on his bed and rubbed his eyes. He was so adorable, he looked like a little kid.
- Should I pick you up when you’ll be ready, so my mom would drive the two of us at highschool ?
- Uh, no thanks, I’ve already planned to go with some friends.
- Oh, ok.. I’ll maybe see you there then.
I closed my window and went downstairs to take my breakfast, then I left to highschool. It was so huge compared to my previous private school. I was really stressed about making new friends: I was naturally really shy. But at least I had Shawn this year..

That evening, I went to Shawn’s house. We laid on his bed and talked about our new highschool, people of our classes and other random stuffs.
- That highschool is so freaking huge, I don’t even know how I’m gonna find my classrooms!
- Me either, it took me like 15 minutes to find where my new class had to go, Shawn replied.
- Me too! There’s not even a plan for the new students!
- Yeah! Oh, and how about your classmates, do they look cool ?
- I didn’t look at all of them, but some of the girls looked superficial, but there were also some girls who looked nice though. And you ?
- The guys look cool, and I’m in the same class as Will who knows almost all the guys in our class so it should be easy to hang out with them. And.. Is there a guy who attracted your attention ?
- Well, there are some cute guys..
I wanted to add that they weren’t as cute as him, but the words didn’t want to go out of my mouth. He replied by a simple “oh” and didn’t add anything else. I said:
- By the way, the girl I was sitting next to seems nice, we talked a lot, I think I could hang out with her.
- See, I told you you’d fastly make new friends, you didn’t have to worry about that (y/n)!
- Yeah.. Shawn ?
- Yup ?
- Can I ask you something ?
- Of course.
- Can you promise me we won’t be separated this year ? I don’t want to lose you..
He got up on his left elbow, looked at me, smiled and replied:
- I promise.
Then he kissed my forehead and we then just kept talking about random stuffs the whole evening. I felt reassured: Shawn would always be there for me, I couldn’t lose him.

The two first weeks of school were really charged, I had a ton of homework, so I didn’t see Shawn during these two weeks, in and out of shcool. I didn’t even see him on the weekend because I visited my sister in California with my family the first weekend and the second one, Shawn’s family had to go to a wedding. So when I saw him with some of his friends the next monday in a highschool’s hallway, I came to him to say hi.
- Hey Shawn, it’s been a long time I didn’t see you. Are you coming at my place tonight ?
Then he replied something I never thought he’d say to me in my entire life.
- Uh, do I know you ?
Then all his friends laughed and he smiled a little, looking at me in the eyes. I felt like my cheeks were burning, and then I just left. I retained my tears as much as I could but it was too hard. My friend Kayla followed me. I went to the girl’s toilets and leaned against the wall to cry. Kayla sat next to me and said:
- (y/n), what is happening ? Why are you crying ? And why did you just talked to Shawn Mendes ?
- H..How do you know him ?
- I wish I could!
- W.. What ?
- Shawn Mendes is one of the hottest guy in that highschool! He’s really popular, didn’t you know that ?
- It’s been only two week we’re in this highschool and he’s already popular ?!
- He’s hanging out with Will, Will knows everyone you know. But why did you try to talk to him ? You’re crazy!
I didn’t know if I should lie to her or tell her the truth, maybe Shawn really didn’t want people to know that we were best friends, even though I didn’t understand why. I then just said:
- You’re right, I won’t do it again..
I dried my last tears and we went to class. When I came home, I closed the window of my balcony and closed the shutters. I didn’t want to talk to Shawn or even see him, I was so mad at him. He humiliated me in front of everyone and smiled like nothing happened. I never thought he’d do this to me, I thought we were best friends.. I sat on the chair of my desk and cried. I then saw my reflection on the mirror in front of me and stood up. I looked at my outfit. I was wearing basic clothes with bland colors that a popular girl would never wear. Then I understood everything: I wasn’t cool enough to hang out with Shawn anymore. I laid on my bed and cried once again, and fell asleep, completely depressed. When I woke up, I sat at my desk and tried to start my homework, but it was too hard when my feelings were in a thousand smithereens. The only thing that was running through my mind was “I lost Shawn”.