Chapter 2 (Continued)

Breakfast is a funny affair. As Alex and the girl didn't leave the ballroom until the event ended, Hal decided neither of us won, and we agreed to go fifty-fifty on the bill.

It's held in the Sun Room, a classy place with huge windows lining the entire room, reminding me of a grand conservatory. Red drapes hang on either side of every window, adding some elegance to the image, and two glass doors sit at either end of the room, leading out onto open-air terraces with extra seating outside. Light is streaming in, illuminating the entire area and decorating the wooden flooring with golden spots from the early morning sun.

I spy her at a table in the far corner, away from the light, instead claiming a seat in a darkened spot with a ceiling fan twirling above her, no doubt due to the amount she drank last night. I wave, making my way over and sitting down opposite her in a red-cushioned seat before she gestures for a waiter to bring us some orange juice.

He swiftly returns, drinks and menus in hand before placing a fruit bowl between us. My eyes nearly fall out of my head at the prices next to the bacon and eggs. Glancing around to see whether they're served in a golden bowl, I witness breakfasts being served like I've only ever seen when Bethany orders for me. What happened to good, old-fashioned toast anyway?

I quickly order avocado and poached eggs before thanking my lucky stars for Bethany's credit card. The waiter nods before disappearing through the criss-cross of tables, leaving us in our secluded spot.

'So,' Hal says suddenly in a singsong voice, crossing her arms over her chest. 'You didn't tell me your surname was Dalton.'

I nearly freeze. 'I didn't realise it was such a big deal.'

'A big deal?' she exclaims. 'No one's seen you since you were twelve!'

I shrug. 'I'm here now. How did you find out?'

'Word spreads fast.' She shrugs, and I purse my lips, knowing that the only person I told was Alex. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Either way, Bethany would probably be pleased to hear that her name is getting out there.

'I ran into Alex last night,' I admit to Hal as I pick a strawberry from the bowl in the centre of the table.

'You did?'

I nod. 'After I left your room. He was with that girl.'

'We knew he would be. I just wish it had been earlier so I could benefit from a free breakfast,' she says with a grin. 'I can only dream that a boy like that will take me for a spin.'

'For a spin?' I nearly choke on my fruit, chuckling slightly.

'Sure,' she agrees. 'Obviously it's not the proper thing to do, though. Not for us ladies anyway.' She smirks, rolling her eyes.

'Obviously,' I choke out with a nod.

'Have you?' she asks suddenly.

'Have I what?'

'Done it?'

'Hal!' I hiss. 'Voice. Down.'

'Sorry,' she whispers, giggling.

'I have,' I admit, and she grins.

'One day I'll find the man, I just know it... he'll have eyes only for me, making his way across the...'

I zone out as Alex enters the room, wearing a white polo shirt, his entire Aztec-style tattoo showing on his right arm. I'm shocked – I'd never have imagined that the ink on his wrist would lead to such a piece of art. I always figured tattoos would be looked down upon in high society.