Chapter 3 (Continued)

Three mornings later, I push my arms through the cool water, propelling myself forward. It's early, way before Hal ever surfaces, giving me some time alone before the chaos begins. Being pretty much the only hour I can truly be myself, I swim through the water like the dolphin I've always been.

My brother, Leo, used to joke about it all the time, adamant that if I had the chance to run away and join the mermaids, I would. At a mere nine years old, I couldn't disagree, insisting he come with me as my protective older brother who I believed would take on the world with me.

Sadly, that's not always how life works out.

Nevertheless, swimming has always been one of my strong suits. I would save any money Mum left lying around the house, sneaking off to the leisure centre every other weekend.

Even when Bethany takes me on holiday, she always lies on her sun lounger, watching and cheering from afar as I draw close to fifty lengths per day.

Here, I can use the facilities for free, and damn right I'm exploiting that.

I'm alone, the entire basement pool empty as the hotel's elite residents sleep off their hangovers from the night before. It's been the same all six mornings since I got here.

'Bethany?'

Until now apparently.

Stopping mid-length, I turn, looking back at the blue-tiled doorway to the changing room. My mouth almost drops open at the sight of a topless Alex, stepping forward with a cocky smirk on his face.

'Alex?' My tone is disbelieving.

'It's good to see you too,' he replies, walking in and dropping his navy towel onto the lounger next to my towel-covered seat to reveal his black swimming trunks. I instantly tear my gaze away from his abs, the pure, defined muscle melting my eyes.

I'm thankful the water is covering me and most of my red swimsuit.

'Well, friend.' He practically grimaces at the word before shooting me an enormous smile. 'I haven't seen you the last few days.'

I shrug. 'I've been busy.'

'Not playing squash with anyone else I hope,' he teases, walking over to the water's edge.

'Not at all,' I say, laughing before clearing my face of emotion. Damn, one sentence and I'm already humouring him.

'Why so doom and gloom?' Alex exclaims, slipping his entire body into the pool, thankfully removing the distraction. Well... Some of it. 'Friends are supposed to have fun together.' He grins before suddenly a wave of water crashes into my face, and I splutter, swimming backward before wiping my hands over my eyes.

'You jerk!' I retort, and he laughs, shrugging before swimming towards me.

'I had to do something – you looked like you were about to kill me.'

'Surely that stunt made it more likely to happen?' I argue and he raises an eyebrow before stopping mid-swim, holding his hands up and attempting to retreat.

'Good point.'

I laugh, unable to resist the urge, diving forward and raising my hands, effectively lifting a tidal wave of liquid. I watch as it splashes down on him, coating his hair. He disappears under the surface for mere seconds before popping back up, wiping his eyes and grinning at me.

'You're going to pay for that,' he promises, and I squeal, turning and pushing my arms back through the water, kicking my legs out behind me. I'm moving as fast as I can, my strong swimming skills helping as I glide away.