Chapter 1 (Continued)

'Shit!' I exclaim, whirling around to the ridiculously handsome man behind me, my glass still in his hands. 'You scared me.'

'Very ladylike,' he replies, a grin spreading across his face as he steps towards me. I gulp, knowing I've likely just messed the whole damn thing up.

'I'm sorry,' I tell him, attempting to smile and reaching for a loose strand of my hair to play with. I'm trying to hide the nerves that are currently threatening to flow down my face as tears. Tonight has already been worse than I ever dreamed this first evening could be, and the party isn't even over yet.

'That's okay.' He shrugs. 'I've never cared for the rules they expect us to follow at these bloody things.' He gestures behind him towards the party, the first of many such events for wealthy, extravagant people that I am required to attend for the next six weeks.

'Really?'

'Sure.' He grins. 'So don't be afraid to hold your tongue. Curse away.'

'I'm not one to swear,' I admit. 'I don't know what came over me.' Maybe, just maybe, it's the fear of completely screwing this up.

'You don't want to be here?' he asks, clearly curious.

'Something like that.'

'Me neither,' he admits, stepping closer and resting against the wall beside me. He looks out into the darkness before turning his attention to me. 'This isn't how I planned to spend my summer.'

'Same,' I reply honestly, a small smile working its way onto my face.

'You left your drink behind,' he says, holding the glass towards me.

'You think I'm going to take that now? I don't know who you are or what you've done to it.'

He cocks an eyebrow. 'Done to it?'

'Yeah,' I answer, nodding. 'You know, drugs and pills. Maybe you spiked it?'

'Oh,' he exclaims, stepping to the side and putting the glass on top of the wall, far away from us. 'I would never. When I take a woman to bed, I like her to know exactly what's going on.' The huskiness in his voice isn't what I'm expecting, a flicker of something unnecessary surging through my gut at the sound.

'Uh... good for you,' I stutter.

'As for not knowing each other, I'm Alexander,' he says with a smile. 'Most people call me Alex.'

'Bethany,' I reply instantly, holding my hand out to him in greeting. Is this what posh people are supposed to do?

He smirks, reaching out and grabbing my hand, his grasp warm and firm, the feeling startling me. With a sudden tug, I'm closer, our hands still intertwined between us.

'Bethany?' he repeats, his voice low as his face hovers above mine. My heart is racing, threatening to bound out of my chest. 'I don't know any Bethany. Unless... Bethany Dalton?'

'That... that's the one,' I tell him, unable to concentrate as his eyes explore mine, almost holding them hostage. My heart lurches in my chest at the fact I've apparently found the first person who actually knows her name this evening.

'No way.' Alex grins. 'I haven't seen you since we were twelve. You've certainly changed.'

'Puberty will do that to you,' I justify quickly, a sudden chuckle leaving his mouth at my words.

'That's true,' Alex agrees. 'I've aged too – can't you tell?' he jokes, a smile on his face.

'Su-Sure.' I can't focus, our hands still connected between our bodies. Does he realise? Isn't this a bit long to hold hands with a stranger?

'Did you ever think you would see me again?' he asks, lightly caressing the back of my hand with his finger. Oh, he realises. I try to ignore the strange flickers of adrenaline that pulse around my body from his touch.

'I hadn't even considered it,' I say truthfully. What with not even knowing him, it would have been extremely hard for him to grace my thoughts.

His smirk widens at my answer before he lightly pushes us back against the wall. I barely register the rough surface that hits my back, unable to shake my focus away from our hands, still connected between us. My cheeks fill with heat as I watch his twinkling eyes.

'I wish I could lie and say I was different,' Alex says, grinning. He drops his head closer to mine, and my heart – unwillingly – skips a beat. 'I pretty much forgot you as well.'

'I guess we're even, then,' I manage to say, still struggling to ignore the way he's making me feel.

'Yes,' he replies, eyes moving from my eyes to my lips. 'You look fucking incredible tonight, Beth.'

The name snaps me back to reality, out of the addictive haze that I really, really want to linger in.

I give him a slight shove and he steps back, curiosity filling his features as he gazes down at me. 'Beth?'

'I have to go,' I mumble, overwhelmed by the sensations he's making me feel.

'Is this because of what happened in the past?' Alex asks, and I feel my eyes widen before I quickly smooth my expression, hoping he didn't notice my surprise. 'Beth, I'm so sorry—'

'Don't!' I cut him off, shaking my head before I open my eyes. 'It was a long time ago,' I tell him, praying that I sound believable.

I'm shivering once more, the magical illusion of the peaceful balcony shattered, giving way to the chill evening. Alex's head dips slightly, his shoulders rising and falling before his gaze meets mine once more. I'm startled by the difference in his expression, angst now clouding his eyes with an even darker emerald.

'I mean every word,' he says in a quiet voice. 'I should never—'

'I have to go,' I repeat, not wishing to hear any more and risk descending into an apparent rabbit hole. Without waiting for his response, I hurry past him, back towards the glass doors.

I practically run down the corridor, as fast as the devil heels will let me. I'm desperate to find the nearest bathroom, suddenly spotting one and rushing into it. I fumble with the lock behind me, eventually snapping it into place. Letting out the breath I've been holding since Alex started apologising, I turn around, leaning my head back against the door.

Attempting to think straight is a truly impossible task when the entire room reminds me exactly where I am. The enormous space is decorated with floral wallpaper, a pale pink chaise longue in the corner next to the large sink, which is exquisitely decorated with large golden taps.

Taking a few steps across the floor, I let my gaze drift to the mirror beside the comfortable-looking seat. It's full length, allowing me to take in the image of the brunette staring back at me in full form. She's relatively slim, her dress emphasising her figure in all the right places. Her make-up is impeccable – not caked on but still hiding any blemishes that lie beneath – and her glossy hair has been pinned up, loose tendrils dropping around her neck to make the look perfectly imperfect. She's a true stranger.

The wispy lashes and deep-red lipstick are the only familiarities in the mirror. It's almost the same colour I wear every other night.

Tearing my gaze away, I quickly open my black clutch bag, digging the phone out. It's one I could never afford, and I'm still getting used to how it works. Eventually, I find the call history, hovering my hand over the correct name before I tap it.

Giving myself an encouraging nod in the mirror, I lift the phone to my ear. It only rings four times before the line goes quiet as the person answers.

'Hey. Is something wrong? Aren't you supposed to be at the welcoming party?' she asks.

I take another deep breath, this one slightly shuddery as Alex's grinning face flashes through my head.

Opening my mouth, I tell her, 'Bethany, we have a problem.'