Chapter 189: The Rise of the Fumiko Clan

The concept of a youthful marriage wasn't foreign to Suzume. As a Fumiko Clan woman, Suzume expected to marry young regardless of who it might be.

Whether it was Ryota since he was the heir of the Fumiko Clan.

Or if it were Hakuji because he was a notable member of one of the Fumiko branch family.

Or potentially even Seth due to his strong lineage as the next heir of the Vermillion family.

Luckily, Suzume had a choice in who she'd wed. She stared at Ren with starry eyes. He was her pillar of light, best friend, savior, and soulmate. Suzume locked hands with Ren as if artificially tying the knot.

"It's official." Suzume's eyes went to Sarah reading her panicked reaction. "Renji proposed to me not to long ago." A sinister smile rose over Suzume's lips. "It was sweet, he gave me gifts, kissed me, and told me he loves me."

Sarah's golden eyes repeatedly blinked like flashes of lightning. "Suzu..."

"I'd be a fool to reject him." Suzume rubbed her stomach lightly. She gently caressed Ren's face and spoke lightly. "And of course I love him too." Suzume leaned in and kissed Ren affectionally.

Sarah collapsed. The knife in her heart had sunk too deep. She could imagine Suzume laughing like an evil witch.

Sarah always liked Ren. Initially, her interests in him were solely born from sympathy. She wanted to apologize for how Seth treated him and spoil him a little due to his rough upbringing.

But, the feelings Sarah felt for Ren slowly evolved after witnessing his resolve time and time again. He was the only one who dared to stand up to Seth and defend her honor. Ren treated her kindly even after being crippled.

In many ways, Ren was Sarah's knight in shining armor, and secretly Sarah wished she could be in Suzume's shoes.

Nevertheless, Sarah was happy for the two of them and wished them nothing but the best.

"Just give it time little lass." Maija softly rubbed Sarah's shoulders. Heartbreak was an emotion Maija was very familiar with.

Maija stared up at the clouds, recalling her youth. When she was young, she had many suitors, some more attractive than others and some older than others. Luckily her father, Sawyer, gave Maija the freedom to fall in love with who she wanted. Which, by virtue, gave her the freedom to break the hearts of whoever didn't suit her taste.

Maija rejected nearly a hundred men and fell in love with only one.

Maija's eyes sank, her blood-moon eyes fell from the sky like red stars. But after some time, they landed on Suzume, a descendant of the man she loved, Ryoma Fumiko.

"Maija, am I cursed?" Sarah asked, raising her head. Maija pet Sarah's head like a sad cat and made faces at her as if wanting to hear her purr.

"Cursed with heartbreak? Yes, you are." Maija told her bluntly. "But give it time, eventually the hole in your heart will be filled with a blessing."

Sarah shifted through her thoughts and reflected on a vision Excalibur showed her. She saw a vision of herself and a man with almond skin holding hands and traveling through the desert.

Due to the skin tone, Sarah assumed that man was Ren. His height matched Ren's as well.

Sarah took another look at Ren and tilted her head.

"No, he was definitely taller..."

Sarah crossed her legs and thought about it longer. She couldn't imagine herself with anyone else. Dustin was too lustful for her taste. Arthur, although attractive, was too much of a womanizer. Then Jack...