Chapter 70: Dreams Of The Past

"Hm? What's this?" Natsumi held a halted stare while her eyes rested upon her younger Brother.

"Can we get it?" Ren raised his hands pressing a large tub of ice cream into Natsumi's chest. Natsumi stared at it for a moment before glancing down the aisle "Um..." Natsumi's voice trailed while she looked around in silence.

"How much is it?" Natsumi finally blurted, her attention immediately was drawn back to Ren only to notice his uncertain stare. With a small tilt of her head Natsumi drew herself closer "Ren, how much is it?" Natsumi repeated.

Ren's face dropped and he pointed towards the end of the aisle "I dunno, I just got it from over there." Natsumi let out a soft sigh before taking the child's hand and walking in the direction he was pointing.

It only took a couple of step for Natsumi to get close enough to read the price tag. Natsumi's stare eventually transformed into a subtle frown "Ren I..." Natsumi's words stopped when she glanced over at him. Ren had already sunk his head into his jacket trying to mask his disappointment.

"..." Natsumi bit down on her lip before looking away redirecting her stares onto her shopping basket. Inside of the basket were a plethora of simple items, ranging from trash bags to canned foods. Natsumi's eyes finally narrowed on a box of hair dye, something she bought quite often.

Natsumi once again sighed looking down at her unkempt hair which matched her disheveled appearance.

"..." Natsumi looked back at the box of dye before looking back at her long locks, faint blue streaks were becoming more visible day by day. But finally after some contemplation Natsumi tossed the box onto the shelf and shoved the tub into her basket.

"Only after dinner alright?" Natsumi's gaze softened when her eyes once again fell upon Ren. In a quick flash Ren's frown faded blossoming into a bright smile. Natsumi couldn't help but feel her heart grow at ease in seeing Ren's smile.

All the choices that she had made, all the things she had done, and all the things she has worked for seemed worth it if it lead to Ren's happiness. Natsumi reached out for him slowly only to hesitate midway, Natsumi's smile waned becoming cloaked in an unknown sadness.

"Ren..."

After hearing his name Ren looked over, only to be met with Natsumi's hollow eyes. It was a look Ren had seen on Natsumi a handful of times, although he wasn't entirely sure why. Natsumi's stares always seemed distant, as if she was constantly staring into the past.

Ren lightly tilted his head still carrying his innocent smile "Yes?"

"..." Ren always felt the way Natsumi stared at him was odd, although never malicious there wasn't a single time that Natsumi seemed genuinely happy. After awhile Natsumi smiled at him carrying her usual regretful stare "Nevermind, its nothing." Natsumi then gently caressed Ren's head ruffling his hair in the process.

The way Natsumi always acted around Ren was a bit different compared to most siblings. Most of the actions she took seemed more Motherly than sisterly, which was something most people noticed when seeing them in public.

"Lets go home." Natsumi said softly before directing him towards the exit.

"Okay-" Before Ren could even finish something in the distance caught his eye. Ren noticed a man wearing a skin tight costume in the distance. The man's appearance was a bit odd, his costume resembled Erica's having a layer of scales along the entire body that were colored blue. Although unlike Erica's his gloves had a long black webbing resembling a fish's dorsal fin. The Hero's face was a bit oddly shaped, being a bit flat similar to a flounder, his hair was messy having strands of seaweed entangled with it.