Chapter 5

I stared at the girl in front of me, who seemed to be enjoying my confusion. Now that she was sitting there, it was clear that she was a gorgeous woman, with tanned skin and a dusting of freckles to go along with the lovely hair. But I couldn't place her. The orange sweatshirt she was wearing had a large T on it for the university here, but that didn't help me as the only students I know are in Boston. I also couldn't remember any redheads. "I'm failing this aren't I?" I said helplessly.

"Nah, you're fine. It's been a while, and after all we only spent that one memorable night together." She winked while reaching over and running a finger over the back of my hand, making me blush like a fool.

I stammered and tried to speak but couldn't then hung my head in shame, how could I not remember a stunning woman like this? "I'm so sorry, I can't remember." I finally said in embarrassment.

"Ethan." She said clearly, putting a hand under my chin till I looked at her. "I'm joking, it's Blake." She covered her mouth with her hand as she laughed. "I'm sorry to tease you like that, but I couldn't resist."

"Oh shit!" No wonder I didn't remember. The memorable night was her huddled in the back seat of my car while her mother and I drove through the snow to get them home. She had been completely bundled up and I hadn't even seen her clearly till the following morning when I saw her for about 30 seconds before I left. "New hair?" I finally remembered; she had been a blonde.

"Yep. Dye job, trying to impress the asshole that just abandoned me," she said, blowing out a puff of air up at her hair.

"Well, if you need my opinion, he did seem like a bit of a dick," I added with a smile.

"Damn, you should have told me that a few weeks ago!" she said with a touch of sarcasm.

"Here's the new food hon!" Lucy said, putting his order on the table. Blake eyed it hungrily.

"Hey, Lucy? Can you please bring me a second order, just like this? As well as some coffee and another fork?" I asked. I knew she'd want some.

"You got it!"

I handed my fork over to Blake. "Here, dig in. We'll start with this one and then finish the other. You look like you need it."

"You sure about that?" she asked nervously.

"Yep, I'm in no rush, and it isn't like I'm going to sit here and have you watch me eat," I said, picking up a piece of bacon till the other fork got there. I couldn't remember the last time I had a meal with a pretty girl. Wait, that was not the purpose of this trip!

"You're a life saver!" Blake said as the she speared an egg yolk and let it mix in with the hash browns. "You know, this is the second time you've saved me when I was stranded, are you following me?" she joked.

"Pure, dumb luck both times, you seem to be on my road trips lately." I said smiling. "Actually, now that I think about it, do you need saving today? I can give you a ride if you are headed somewhere."

"I have no idea where to go. I'm supposed to be with Jerky McDickface on the way to Daytona Beach. I have a reservation there for spring break."

"And?"

"Well, not really in the mood to go there anymore, the atmosphere has been ruined," she explained.

"You have a place around here? I could drive you or drop you at your mom's if you prefer." He suggested.

"Nope, I graduated at the end of fall semester, living at home till I can find a place to move to."

"Well, I could drive you back there if you need. Or to your car if you have one here."