Rear View Mirror

Chapter Five

*~*~*~*

"I don't get idiots like this." Scout canned her head back to look up at the tagger that was stuck on ladder at the top of abandoned industrial building they'd been called to. Shay stood over by the ambulance while she stood between Herrmann and Matt as they all watched Severide use the snorkel basket to get the guy.

"Zito... big-time tagger." Otis noted from his spot on Herrmann's other side.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've seen his name around," Shay sighed as she and Gaby joined them.

"He's hit every L-train, bus stop, and mailbox in Chicago," Otis added.

"You president of his fan club?" Herrmann scoffed.

"No. There's a street art exhibition at the MCA," Otis shook his head.

"This clown's in a museum?" Herrmann's eyes widened at the news.

"I don't know which is more surprising-- the fact that this idiot's in a museum or the fact that Otis has been in one." Scout mused, earning chuckles from the others.

"Coming down." Severide's voice came over the radio once he had Zito in the basket.

"Looks like we weren't needed after all." Shay commented as she moved with Gaby to load the stretcher back into the ambulance.

"All good?" Boden asked as he joined them.

"Yeah," Otis nodded. "Graffiti artist got stuck up there, Chief."

"What the hell," Herrmann muttered under his breath when he spotted an unmarked cop car pulling up to the scene. The other's quickly followed his gaze, knots forming in Scout's stomach when she spotted Voight climbing out of it with another detective.

"Kelly. Vargas." Boden nodded towards Scout and Matt. The two men worked quickly with the others to block the detective from their friends, Kelly trying to pry away the metal tool in Matt's hand. Boden only turned to face the pair of detectives as they moved closer, having no intention of letting them near his people. "You have no reason to be here."

"Oh, I'm collecting gang intel, Chief." Voight claimed as he glanced up at the newest work. "Big new tag like that-- gotta make sure it doesn't spark a turf war."

"You've seen it. Now leave," Boden nodded back towards his car.

"You might want to take a step back there," Voight suggested. "I don't want to charge you or one of your men with interfering with a police investigation."

"Pack it up. We're outta here," Boden turned back to the group, waving for all of them to head back to their trucks or ambulances.

"You can ride with us." Herrmann steered Scout towards the truck rather than having her walk around Voight to get to the ambulance.

"Oh, hey, Casey, Keltner." Voight called out, as if just then noticing their presence amongst the group. "You got your depositions tomorrow."

"Come on, let's go." Severide gave Matt a small push to keep him walking away while Herrmann did the same with Scout.

"Let me ask you, is that cute little fiancee of yours gonna be there too? 'Cause I gotta tell you, the other night when we were talking, she seemed kinda, I don't know, shut down. But by the end, she really started to open up." Voight continued, his words causing the pair of siblings to stop in their tracks. "Nothing like your one little boy, Keltner. He sure talked up a storm when I saw him yesterday."