The Weigh Station

Chapter Forty-Two

*~*~*~*

"So you knew the victim?" Voight asked Jay the moment he and Erin made their way into the bullpen. Everyone having come in bright and early that morning after they'd gotten the call that there'd been an attempt on Jay's life the night before.

"Maddie Callahan. She worked there," Jay nodded.

"No ID on the shooter?" Voight checked.

"No, patrol's going door to door in the neighborhood looking for witnesses," Erin shook her head.

"That was the hospital," Antonio announced as he hung up his phone. "Your friend's in ICU, but she's alive."

"Thanks," Jay offered.

"Hey," Antonio ducked his head to force the younger man to meet his gaze. Well aware of just what thoughts were going through his head in that moment. "It's not your fault."

"He's right," Scout voiced her own agreement. "Don't go blaming this on yourself, Jay."

"Someone needs to talk to Bembenek." Antonio stated the obvious as he turned his attention to their sergeant.

"Oh, Olinsky's already on that," Voight assured them. Already knowing that they needed to go straight to the guy that had put the hit out on Jay.

"A black Arcadia was found abandoned in Englewood," Atwater announced as he joined them. "It's matches the description of the getaway vehicle, but there's not prints. They torched it."

"White male just checked into a south side clinic about half an hour ago, two bullet wounds." Adam shared as he came out of the break room, having been on his phone."

"All right, Lindsay, Scout, Antonio, get on it." Voight instrcuted, sending the three moving to grab their jackets while Jay started to do the same. "No, no, no, Jay. You're in protective custody until this dies down."

"They shot my friend. They nearly killed me and Erin," Jay reminded him.

"You got a target on your back. You're not going anywhere till that target's removed," Voight stood his ground, refusing to knowingly risk the lives of his people.

"So I'm under house arrest?" Jay scoffed.

"You wanted to see us, Sergeant?" Burgess asked as she and Roman made their way upstairs.

"Halstead doesn't leave your sight until I say so. And he stays here at the 21st," Voight ordered the pair of patrolmen.

"You got it," Roman nodded.

"They don't need to stay up here to keep an eye on me," Jay shook his head. "You've gotta be kidding me?!"

"And I'm outta here..." Scout muttered under her breath as she made a beeline for the stairs, Antonio and Erin right behind her. As they headed down the stairs Scout dug through her bag in search of something in particular.

"Lindsay, you got a visitor." Platt alerted Erin as the trio reached the bottom the of the stairs.

"You've gotta be kidding me," Erin scowled at the sight of her mother standing in the empty office.

"Who's that?" Antonio asked as he glanced towards the woman, Scout still preoccupied with her bag.

"I'll meet you guys in the car." Erin ignored his questioned as she moved into the office, closing the door behind her.

"What are you looking for?" Antonio turned his attention to his girlfriend.

"This." Scout grinned as she pulled two envelopes out of her purse, the corners bent slightly.