Persona

"Gae Eul?"

"Chu Ga Eul?"

"Miss Ga Eul?"

"Ya!"

The last call caught my attention from the deep thought I was having.

"Yes ?"

"What are you staring at?" My best friend, a girl named Geum Jan Di is glaring at me. Her right hand holding a pencil while her left hand is holding an ancient-looking thick book.

"No. Nothing" I answer simply, trying to avoid inviting more questions from the Resident Physician. I was just bored and gazed out the window whilst waiting for Jan Di to finish her lunch break, which she spent on reading her textbook instead before falling into some useless thought.

"What are you thinking of?"

"Nothing"

I'm not going to let her know what I was thinking of.

"Tae Hyung right?"

Shit.

"No" I can feel my cheeks increasing in temperature as I try to avoid my best friend's sharp gaze.

"Chu Ga Eul." She finally placed her pencil and book on the table. "Why don't you just tell him?" she asked a question that sounds like a punishment to me.

"What? Can't I stare out of the window now? Wasn't thinking of anything! Why are you assuming? " I try to change the direction of the conversation by picking a fight.

"Chu Ga Eul, please. Your face is more readable than this book of mine" she said, her eyebrows arched, signaling the book placed on the white table. " You like him. It's written all over your face"

Danm.

I would really like to bury my face in the sand right now. My cheeks feel hotter than whatever hell's temperature probably is now.

"Chu Ga Eul. Stop torturing yourself. Tell him" Jan Di pestered.

Tell him? And why should I? To add disappointment into my life cart? He doesn't like me the way I like him. And my dad should be having my future husband's resume in his office table drawer already. It's about time.

Why bother confessing.

"B-"

I was going to blurt out some lies but Jan Di's phone ringtone saved me from committing the sin. Her superior doctor called her in, somehow there is an emergency going on and they need more people to help with the situation.

"I need to run," Jan Di said while packing her backpack.

"Go on." I nodded while packing my handbag too.

"Bye. Love you" she gave me a slight hug before running off to her department.

"Love you too" I replied before heaving a sigh of relief. I know Jan Di wants the best for me. But who am I to deny the fact that I am the oldest Chu heir. My life is already planned ahead for me and there is almost no way of changing them. My parents are a piece of living evidence. Their marriage was arranged by a tradition to conserve and streamline the inheritance of both family's wealth.

Thankfully, my parents are the happiest couple that I know. Therefore I haven't really been bothered by the fact that I would not be able to choose my life partner.

Well, maybe I didn't care until recently.

"Urgh whatever" I shook my head and walk right out of the hospital cafeteria. I refuse to be burdened by vain introspection. Those are not my style nor me. I am Chu Ga Eul. Time to get back to the office and work my intern ass off for the rest of the day.