21: Raphtalia

"Lowly Demi!" With crack after crack, Idol Rabier swung his whip at Raphtalia, who took each hit as if it were nothing. Sleeves tore, and bruises formed, and yet, Raphtalia kept her approach up.

  And then, when she got close enough, a single swing was all it took to knock the whip out of the filthy hands of Rabier. The fat man was knocked down, immediately crawling back, fear coating his every action, his every word.

  "W-wait, please don't!" He begged, flinching when a serrated sword tip was pointed under his chin.

  "S-Spare me!" He stammered. After a moment of consideration, Raphtalia's sword began to tremble.

  "So many Demi-humans begged for their lives just like that, but you..." You noticed a tear run down Raphtalia's cheek.

  "W-wait! You lot would've died like dogs in the wild if I hadn't taken you in back then!" Rabier tried to reason with Raphtalia, to no avail.

  "Shut your mouth!" She ordered, drawing a squeak of fear from the lord.

  "Do... do you really think I've forgotten the atrocities you've committed?" Raphtalia raised her trembling sword. This wasn't fear causing the blade to tremble... this was a rage only present when facing down the root of your troubles. This was the same rage Naofumi shows towards Malty, the same rage you felt when striking down a furious orphan, alone on a desolate beach, in the depths of a fishing hamlet...

  "I haven't! I could never forget!" Raphtalia screamed, causing Rabier to back up even more.

  "I-I was wrong!" He actually got to his hands and knees, groveling.

  "I'll apologize! I'm sorry!" He shouted. You grit your teeth, stepping forward.

  "You..." You sheathed your weapon, a sneer crossing your face.

  "Y/n..." Raphtalia lowered her blade as you got closer to Rabier, fists clenched.

  "When faced by one you have abused, with friends you have killed... all you have to say is some pitiful apologies..." You lifted your foot back, about to kick Rabier, before lowering your foot.

  "You truly are the lowest scum of them all... lower than a cockroach's dick!" You lifted your foot again, kicking the lord. He rolled a few times, screaming in pain.

  "Y/n..." you looked at Raphtalia, who lowered her sword.

  "Oh, my apologies." You took the brim of your hat, covering your eyes.

  "I simply detest a coward that's only sorry about getting caught. I almost forgot that he's yours to kill." You stated, walking over.

  "Kill? Y/n, what are you doing?" Naofumi asked.

  "What does it look like, Naofumi? The saying goes 'An Eye for an Eye,' correct?" You asked.

  "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind!" Naofumi insisted.

  "Let him learn his lesson and move on!" He continued.

  "Learn? Learn his lesson?" You looked at Naofumi, picking up the lord by his shirt.

  "Do you honestly believe scumbags like this are capable of learning their lesson!?" You shook the lord, drawing fearful gasps with each shake.

  "Yes, I do! Vengeance isn't a reason to kill!" Naofumi answered.

  "And yet you use vengeance as reason to spite the King, despite Melty offering to act as a peacekeeper between you two!" You countered. When Naofumi didn't answer, you sighed.