Chapter 7: Creating Bonds

"You did what!?" Michelangelo may have experienced the darker sides of life at a very young age, but something he never lost as a child was his manners and kindness. For the entire car ride, he had been very patient and respectful to his new family as they were sharing some of their best missions and adventures. But Mikey couldn't help but be amazed at what he just heard. "Haha! We were riding the avalanche." Slash tried not to laugh, but how could he with Mikey's head looking like it could explode any minute. "But how did you not get crushed!? I mean I'm happy you didn't, but still! It doesn't seem possible!" Mikey said, leaning a bit closer towards Slash who was sitting across from him. "Oh we were this close to kicking the bucket" Slash pitched two of his fingers together, having a tiny small space in between them to show how small their chances of survival actually were. "But Y'Gythgba is smart. She realized that even with our helicopter having no tail, all we needed to do was stay on the avalanche as long as possible." Slash turned his attention towards his other teammate, gesturing to her to continue the story. "The helicopter tail is used to steer left and right, but all we had to do was glide down the mountain. Though, we wouldn't have had to do that if somebody hadn't given the bird to the guy with the bazooka!" Y'Gythgba was glaring daggers at Slash.

He put his hands up in defense, "Hey, at least we survived the crash." He tried to defend. "You broke your arm." She countered with an annoyed look. Mikey's intrigued expression turned into worry. He looked down at Slash's arm and could see a very visible scar line running from his forearm down to his wrist. "Don't cha worry about me squirt, it doesn't hurt anymore." Mikey looked up at Slash's face. "Besides, he got a real good punishment from Tiger Claw." Y'Gythgba began to laugh. "Uugh, don't remind me. I had to clean both of the sento's and onsen's for a Month!" Slash threw his head back for dramatic effect. "Be glad I did not make it two." Tiger Claw was leaning back into his seat with his eyes closed, trying to get some rest. "What's an onsen and sento?" Mikey tilted his head to the side. Leatherhead spoke up, "An onsen, my friend, is a hot spring where one baths publicly and is mainly used for relaxation. While a sento is a more private bath house, which serves as a more practical need for daily hygiene." Mikey nodded, he liked learning new things from his friend.

He put his hands in his sweatshirt pocket, but quickly gasped when he realized he's missing something. He was tugging at the soft orange material around his body and when he could not find what he was looking for, he began to frantically search around his seat. "Michelangelo, what is wrong?" Leatherhead grew worried. "I-I can't find it." "Find what, my friend?" His eyes were moving around the space of the van so quickly they were almost a blur. "Our picture! The only photo of us together as kids. I think I dropped it somewhere and-and I lost it!" Mikey's breaths grew faster and quicker. "There is no need to panic." Mikey turned his head to Tiger Claw, who was reaching into his black vest and pulled out the picture! Tiger Claw leaned over towards the young turtle and handed him the photo. Mikey quickly accepted it and held it against his heart, eyes closed, and his breathing became more even. "You dropped it on the ground when we were taking you to the hospital." When he caught his breath he opened his eyes and stared at Tiger Claw. "Thank you." He looked at the photo then up at Leatherhead. He smiled and realized that he has not told them something that needs to be said. "I..." He looked up at the three mutants sitting across from him. His one word gathering the attention of all of them. "I haven't thanked you all properly. I was so caught up, so overwhelmed with seeing Leatherhead that I never thanked you guys for saving me." "You don't need to-" Tiger Claw tried to speak up, but was cut off by Mikey's persistence. "Yes, I do. You...risked your lives to save me. You got me out of that house, out of the hands of...him." He shivered. Just remembering the Shredder was difficult, let alone say his name."You fought to protect me." Tears started forming in his eyes. "A 'Thank You' isn't enough. I don't know what else to say that could show you how grateful I am for your bravery, your strength, and your kindness." Leatherhead wrapped his arm around Mikey's small form, being careful with the bandages around his ribs.