6

13 years ago.

"Thea! Wait!" Diluc yelled, running after his playmate who had dissappeared through the fog deep in the forest. 

The woods are Anthea's playground, Diluc knew the Nature favored her, still he couldn't help but worry that something might happen to her.

Panting, and desperately gasping for air, the diverged path forced the young child into a halt.

"Thea!" He worriedly cried.

"Diluc! Over here!" The girl called out.

Not so long after, she came out of the foggy path. But she was not alone.

"Thea! Who's that?"

Diluc eyed the unconscious boy Anthea was carrying on her back. He had navy blue hair, a strange complexion, and an eyepatch. 

"Diluc! Help me carry him! He needs help.. "

Brushing off his suspicious thoughts, Diluc rushed towards her and lifted the other arm of the boy to his back.  His body felt cold, but he was breathing.

Their first instinct as young children were to approach an adult. That's why they rushed the boy to Crepus, Diluc's father. It was a long trek home, but both of them were determined to help the boy.

When they arrived, Crepus asked no questions. Instead, he rushed towards the children, and then carried the boy to his chambers. It was that day that he decided to adopt the boy.

——

In the few weeks of living in the Ragnvindirs' Manor, the mysterious young boy Kaeya had been aloof. He refused to leave his chambers and wouldn't talk to anyone.

Hearing the news that he now has a brother, Diluc would check on the poor boy from time to time. However, as a shy young boy, he couldn't get himself to approach him. But Anthea was different.

Everyday, she constantly barged into Kaeya's room with different kinds of pastries. So much that he got so used to her presence. One time however, she did not visit for three consecutive days. 

Kaeya was disheartened, thinking that she did not want to be around him anymore. But as if magic had struck him, hope once again sparked in his heart. He had missed her so much that it had driven him to get out of the room for the first time.

"Poor little girl. Her bones have been aching, and her fever wouldn't go down. It's as if she's being cursed." Kaeya's eyes widened as he overheard.

He roamed the manor secretly to find the girl's room, and when he had found it, he was surprised to see his brother holding the girl's hand. 

She looked as if she has been suffering in great pain, yet everytime his brother held her hand, she would look a little more peaceful. As if the pain disappears upon his touch. 

That was the first time Kaeya felt a sting deep in his heart. He envied Diluc, and felt as if he was being put to his place.

In the first time for years, he felt frustrated. For days, he had been living with the thought that maybe, just maybe, he was special to the girl.  But seeing both of them, how she responded to his touch amidst her sickness, he realized what both of them meant to each other.

It was clear to him. They belonged to each other. That was their place. And him?

Well..

He's just an outsider.

So with disappointment painted on his face, he stormed to his room and refused anyone in until late at night.

The wind sent him shivers, and it made him feel lonely. Yet instead of thinking about himself, he thought of the girl. Was she cold? What if she's in pain and there's no one to hold her hand?

Worried, he quickly arose from his bed and rushed to the girl's room.

Hesitently, he opened the door. And he was right, she was alone, shivering and groaning in pain.

Reluctantly, he sat on the chair where Diluc has sat. He felt as if he's coveting  his position. Still, he would be lying if he said he did not want to. He felt awful to be having selfish thoughts, still, if it was for her, he didn't mind being a little selfish for once.

"It.. Hurts... " The girl cried in a hoarse whisper. 

"I'm.. I'm here.. " He whispered back, holding her hand. To his surprise, she grasped unto his hand tightly. 

"Di.. luc... Is.. That you?" She asked between heavy breaths.

Kaeya felt a sharp pain pierce through his chest upon hearing his name come out from the girl's lips. Once again, he was reminded of his place.

He was no one.. An outsider.

"Yes.. " He sadly whispered. For if it was him, he knew her pain will stop.

He was too naive to think that he can also do what he can do. 

He was too naive to think that he can be special to her.

Before the young boy could even realize, warm tears had already escaped his eyes.