7

13 years ago.

The next morning, young Anthea was awakened by the warm rays of the sun kissing her cheeks.

Immediately after rising up, the first person that came to her mind was the boy she failed to visit because of her ailment.

After taking a quick bath and slipping to her casual clothes, she excitedly dashed towards the kitchen to sneak out some pastries and proceeded to the boy's room.

To her surprise, as she entered his room, the boy was nowhere to be found. Instead, she found one of the manor's maids fixing his bed.

"Are you looking for the new young master, young miss? He went out to join young master Diluc's classes." The maid told her as she quietly tended to her duties.

Anthea remembered that at that point in time, Diluc would be in his Cavalry class, learning how to ride a horse. Realizing this, she offered the maid a quick respectful bow before she went out to the fields.

It was surprisingly a busy day in the manor, that's why there had been no one to guide Anthea to the fields. However, determined to see how the boy was doing, she decided to continue on. Not realizing that her frail body could be ran over by one of the manor's horses.

Soon after, she finally saw the two boys on horses that were too big for their age. Nonetheless, they seem to be having no problem riding at all. Anthea stopped to revere at the sight. It is quite rare to see Diluc look so cheerful, and it is because of the new boy. Seeing them like that, Anthea knew that such a strong bond will soon grow between the two of them.

"Thea!" Diluc yelled. But the young girl had been too far away to see the horried look on his face. So as she failed to see the rampaging horse about to hit her little body with its leg. 

Anthea flew from the impact. And as her body landed on the ground, she felt a sharp pain seer on her limbs and her back. Tears fell from the corner of her eyes as her vision blurred. The last person she saw before it darkened was Diluc, Crepus, and the new boy's worried expression as they called out her name.

———

"She's got a few broken bones and bruises all over her body. I've healed most of it but I suggest you let her rest for a few months. The girl's body is frail as a leaf." The Healer told Crepus.

"Thank you ver much. I will make sure my daughter doesn't get hurt like this ever again." Crepus assured the healer.

As she left, Crepus scolded a few of the maids and workers who could have asccompanied her but didn't. No matter how busy they had been, he argued that atleast one of them had been with her. Specially when she had just healed from her mysterious ailment.

During the night after dinner, when he was about to visit the girl's room, Diluc stopped him and insisted that they talk privately.

"What is it, son?" He asked gently, tapping the young boy's shoulder.

Diluc hadn't been as cheerful as usual. He was oddly quiet as if something was bothering him.

"Will you be adopting Thea too?" He asked, worry evident from the look in his eyes.

"Well, I promised her parents before they died that I'm going to give her a warm family."

"But a brother is enough for me,  father! Please don't make her my sister!"

Crepus looked at his son with a confused expression. "I thought you like her? You've always been close to her."

"That's exactly why father!"

Crepus eyes widened, moved by his son's sincerity.

"So please don't make her a Ragnvindr just yet father. " Diluc said softy, his eyes diverting away from his father's gaze.

"Because I'll be the one to make her a Ragnvindr."

Crepus smiled at his flustered son, pulling him for an embrace. As he caressed his bag, he whispered, "I understand son. When you're old enough to make her a Ragnvindr, I will be by your side to cheer you on."

Without their knowledge, the young boy Diluc and Thea had picked up from the woods has been listening. With his heart heavy and aching, he wondered if Crepus would also support him if he told him he also wanted her.

But then again, who was he kidding?

He will always be the outsider.