17

Kaeya was getting worried.

He has been observing the Vice Captain for three consecutive mornings. And every new day that comes, the bags under her eyes seem to be getting heavier and heavier.

When he tells her something, he has to repeat it before she could fully comprehend what he has uttered. Ofcourse he knew something was up. He knows her well.

She always liked being diligently focused on everything so she would not miss out on any single detail. And the fact that she's not her current self is enough to affirm that something is indeed wrong with her.

"Is work getting stressful to you lately? I could process you a paid leave so you could take a rest and regain your rythm." He asks as he watched her desperately chug down her fifth cup of coffee this morning.

"I'm alright, Kai, thanks though. I'm gonna go pass our patrol reports to Jean now." She tells him without sparing him a glance.

He holds her hand, stopping her from running off.

"Thea, love, you've already passed them earlier. We did it together, remember?"

"Oh.." She breathed, realizing that she has indeed already submitted the reports, and the pile of paper on her hands were merely just draft and scratches. "I see..."

"Thea, you're not okay. I'm taking you home." He said, holding her shoulders, his eyes meeting her weary gaze. "And don't try convincing me otherwise. Look at you, you look very pale."

"I can still manage. I'll finish work and the I'll head home to rest, I promise." She assures him, caressing her cheeks.

"I like when you caress me like that but I'm afraid I can't let you work today. You look like you're about to pass out."

He caressed her cheeks back, and planted a long and gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Go home and rest alright? It's an order from your Captain." He whispered to her as he pulled away.

She sighs in defeat. "Actually....I..feel much safer by your side." She mutters, looking away. Tints of pink spreading on her cheeks.

His eyes widened. He could have sworn his heart skipped a bit. It was the first time she straight up admitted that she wanted to be by his side. And to see her that flustered made his lips spread into a smile.

"Alright. Then I'm staying at your house as you rest. I need to make sure you indeed rest."

"Alright..." she gives in, making him smile.

"Let's go home then."

Anthea felt safe wrapping her arms around Kaeya's waist. By the time they reached the dormitory, she had already fallen asleep. Afraid to break her slumber, Kaeya carefully carried her down from the horse, and all the way to her dorm room. Not minding the other nights eyeing the two of them.

Kaeya sighed. He was certain the other nights were at work. But seeing the Outrider, the Alchemist, and the Reconaissance's Captain looking at them with perplexed expressions, he realized he was mistaken.

Kaeya immediately laid his lover on her bed the moment he had reached her room.

"Are we home already?" The Vice Captain absentmindedly asked as he was in the middle of removing her shoes.

"Indeed, we are." He replied, laying on bed beside her.

"You want to hear a secret, Captain?" She whispers, half asleep.

"What is it?" He whispers back, riding along.

"You're so pretty, you make me feel intimidated." She replied with a giggle.

He chuckled. "Really? Even prettier than my brother?"

She smiled at his question, carefully trailing her fingers on his face. "You are." She affirmed, kissing his nose.

"You're not going to leave, right Kaeya?" She asks out of the blue. Kaeya's heart ached as he gazed at the terrified look in her eyes.

Thinking about it, he never really understood the intensity of pain she felt during the time his brother left. Just how much pain has it caused her to make her feel so afraid of being left?

"Never." He assured her, pulling her in a tight embrace. Making sure she feels through his hug that he wasn't going anywhere.

And with her safe and sound in his arms, they fell asleep all afternoon.

It was already dark when Kaeya has awoken. He reached out to embrace her, but she was no longer there.

Instead, he found a note on her drawer.

'I need to go to Dragonspine to bring Albedo some herbs. I'll be back before you realize.'

Kaeya's heart shattered. Not because she left without telling him. Not even because Dragonspine was faraway and she would probably be gone for days.

He was hurt because she lied.

Albedo was never in Dragonspine. He had seen him in earlier.