The First Case

I was walking down the short lane, leading to my house. A step after another, the fallen leaves crumpling under my foot, a sign that it is autumn. The red-orange sun setting off into the far away buildings, everything around me adding up to a perfect or a near-perfect surrounding.

I walked further, every step lessening the distance I need to walk. My house came to my sight, silhouette of a person coming into my view. "I wonder who it is...", My thoughts trailing off to the last time a visitor, visited me.

It was my 'wife's' father, the incident wasn't a very pleasant one. I still remember that day as if it was yesterday, the confused me, my sobbing wife and my furious 'father-in-law'. I remember everything, very clearly.

A sudden sound brought me back to reality, I looked towards my right side, only to find it was Morijo, my neighbours' pet dog. A weird name right?

I turned forward and started walking again. I finally reached my house gate, looking at a not-very-old looking man, in a black suit. "May I help you?", I asked. "Hello sir, I'm looking for Mr. Ronald Rinwick, do you know him?", He questioned me back. "Yes, that's me", I'm curious now, but I'm not letting it reach my facial expression.

"I was waiting for you sir!", and I know he is waiting for me, get straight to the point. "How can I help you?", I'm not a very patient person, but,"please come in", I made it as formal as I can. "Thank you", the man said, a bit tense. "By the way, I'm Roqous", the man introduced himself.

Those were the only words we spoke on our entire 'journey'. Once we got inside, I served Roqous, who was sitting on the sofa, a cup of green tea. You may say that I am a fan of green tea. Roqous took a sip from the tea. I got surprised that I could stop my urge of asking him what he wanted.

"I went to the HQ", so it is an office purpose, huh? "Do I know you?", I am much of an introvert, so it is not a surprise that I don't know him. "No no, I just joined yesterday and I got my first case, which looks really intriguing", Roqous clarified. "Wow, first case on the first day? really lucky, I had to wait more than a month for my first one", It's really surprising that a junior group got a case that early. "We are lucky I guess","Anyways, what was the case you were talking about?", his expression darkened, his smile becoming a frown, "The 'unknown deaths' case".