Chapter 47

A thought reaches my mind and I regain a hint of hope.
"She might not be completly human.", I claim confident and enthusiastically, and The Three Presidents face me. "Her father is a werewolf, therefor she has werewolf blood in her vains. She just hasn't reached the stage of turning."
"Now we are taking.", Adalricus utters fascinated.
"That changes the situation completely.", Basilius continues, almost laughing and blink hard with his beyond blue eyes.
"Though, we do not have any proof that what you claim is true. How are we supposed to rely on your words?", Jodocus wonders solemnly, talking for the first time and his voice makes my body tremble of terror, I hope he doesn't notice.
"She's here. If you let me, I will bring her in.", I say as an suggestion.
"Fine, that will do.", Jodocus answers and I think I glimpse a tiny curve on his lips.
"And hurry back. We detest people who waste our time, ... vastly.", Adalricus says and I bow before I hurry towards the entrance door.

***

"Zane!", Caitlin shouts happily when she sees me coming out of the courtroom and when I see her I get reminded of what I'm fighting for.
"Hi, gorgeous.", I say, she walks up to me smiling and our lips meet in a delicate kiss.
"Did they let you go?", Aubrey asks quickly with concern.
"No." The corners of her mouth sinks and I turn to Caitlin again, only to see the pain and sorrow in her beautiful eyes. "There's something I haven't told you."
"What do you mean?", Caitlin asks questioning and I take a grip of her hands. I let it all out:
"Your father is a werewolf and that means you have werewolf-blood in your vains."

Caitlin takes a step back, her eyes are watering slowly. I can't imagine what she must be feeling.
"Why are you telling me this now?", she utters upset, her entire childhood just changed. "What does that mean for me, for us?"
"It might save my life, Caitlin. You have to come with me to The Three Presidents.", I explain calm. "If I'm right, if you truly have werewolf-blood in your vains, then I didn't tell a human."
"You told a werewolf."

***

Caitlin and I step inside the enormous courtroom together. I go forward with a straight back and Cailin walks awry behind me, protected. She keeps a firm grip on my left hand, a grip that I hope she will never have to let go off.
I look down at her and she meets my gaze gently.
"Don't worry.", I whisper silently, "I won't let them hurt you." I press a little harder on her hand to show that's she's safe with me and she lets out a small careful smile.