Chapter 16

In the limousine I button my white shirt, tie my tie and fix my hair. I have my assistant talking over the speaker, she prepares me for the meeting - reminding me of my opinions, the names of those who will attend and what I'm supposed to say.

When I step out, I look up at the giant skyscraper. At the very top where the building and the sky seems to unite as one, is my custom built office.

Two sophisticated men opens the door for me and I head into the reception.
"Hello Mr. Ashford.", says the receptionist, smiling at me with a flirting smile. Her dark hair is in a pretty knot and for once she's wearing lenses instead of glasses.
"Hello...", I say and search far inside my mind. "Lucy." She flushes, flattered because I remembered her name. That's the least thing I can do since I seduced her about a month ago, and slept with her in my office.

My assistant comes walking towards me briskly, she looks so stressed out that I seriously think she will faint in any minute.
"Great, you made it in time.", she says in her sharp and stern voice, and I'm reminded why I hired her in the first place. "Here." She hands me a file of papers and we hurry toward the elevator. I watch as she pushes the button to floor 106.

I walk into the conference room. It's bright because of all the windows and white walls. In the middle of the room is the long oak table and around it sits nine successful and fashionable businessmen and women.
I sit down on the free chair, fold up the file, link my hands together and look up:
"Welcome."

***

When I come home I'm relief that the meeting went well. We agreed and managed to determine all future plans and modify certain investments.

As I go through the door I hear someone breathing. I'm immediately on my guard and look around.
"Hello?", I shout.
"Hi, I'm in the living room.", Aubrey answers and to be honest, I'm suprised.
I haven't seen her in a couple of days. She has stayed away since I confirmed my feelings for Caitlin.

Aubrey is sitting in the couch among pillows, on her lap is an expensive computer. Her light brown hair hangs loose over her left shoulder and it looks neat to her slightly tanned skin.
"So, is it okay between us?", she asks.
"Well it depends, are you okay with me seeing Caitlin?"
"No, I'm not, but there's nothing I can do about it.", she confesses and looks rather uncomfortable. "So Sean told me that you guys haven't seen each other in a week or so.", Aubrey says.
"Yeah, I haven't had the time." It's silent for a while.
"Anyways... I was thinking, maybe we could have a party? The last one was phenomenal and everyone knows; you host the best parties around here."
"Yeah, sure, why not?" I answer, "What do you think, this friday?" She got happy by my reply, I could tell.
"That would be great!", she says clapping her hands together.
"Then it's decided."