☼1.7

THE HALLOWEEN DANCE

There was one thing Moon noticed in the month of October that she hadn't realized before— Solis's friends were kind of jerks.

It started in homeroom, before Mr. Healy's history class, that this notion was discovered. Behind her sat Solis and the new kid, and they had their usual chatty conversations (that being Miguel talking and Solis silently listening).

It was five minutes until first period, when the three girls in her band bust through the door, that Moon noticed her and the freak might not be that different; they both hate their friend group.

The lead singer, Ash, stormed up to Solis's table— "what do you mean you're not coming to the party?" She questioned wildly to the girl who sat, fiddling with her guitar pick.

Solis didn't look too happy either, "I gotta be at the dance," she grumbled, annoyed. "It was that or Saturday detention."

"Take the Saturday dentition!" Ash exclaimed, leaning over her desk. "Mads got us a gig at a college party, and you're seriously bailing?"

Rolling her eyes, she looked to her friends that all held frustrated expressions. "I never agreed to play at any party," she stated surely. "And I have to go..."

"Whatever," Ash sneered. "You suck for this, you know?" She stated over her shoulder as she walked out of Solis's homeroom.

"Yeah, I know," Solis mumbled under her breath, peering out of her eyelashes at the three retreating figures.

In art class, Solis was scared to speak to Mads, in the fear she might be angry with her.

"You know, Mr. Healy is the one making me go to the dance," she spoke quietly as Mads scribbled some sketch onto her paper. "I would rather go to the party."

Mads rolled her eyes. "Then why don't you just ditch the dance?" She questioned shortly. "You've never had a problem doing it before."

Solis took in a sharp breath, steadying her guitar on her lap. "Cause I can get suspended," she mumbled. "You know about my dad. If they don't think he's a fit parent, they can revoke his custody. School already threatened CPS on him before."

The girl looked sadly to her friend, like she had forgotten all of the troubles happening in her home life. "Yeah, I know," she said somberly. "Ash will probably get over it soon," Mads comforted, placing a gentle hand on her knee.

She just nodded in response. "Yeah, I think so too. You know how she gets," Solis gave a glance that Mads read accurately and then laughed.