☼1.9

THE LAST TIME WE MET

Slowly, her hands slip over the wet blades of grass. It seemed destined that the back of her jeans were already sporting green spots. Enough to make any girl care, if Solis were any girl.

It was Monday afternoon, and the girl could not bring herself to eat lunch inside the cafeteria.

It could have been Miguel's bruised face, or Ash's shrill laughter, or her brother's constant frown— but it did not matter what had caused her to not want to sit inside, it is what had caused her to want to sit outside.

Moon.

Her hands held shimmering pom-poms, bright like stars. When she would move, the sunlight glistened off of the reflective bits, and Solis's skull split like a cleaved fruit.

She rubbed her eyes a few times, blaming it on the rolled up jay she had smoked and discarded behind the bleachers, but every time she brought her hands back down, Solis's eyes were immediately traced straight to Moon.

Frantically, her fingers jitter across the wood of her guitar, tracing out shapes on the careful craftsmanship that had been put into it. The thoughts in her head swirled murky, strange, so strange— for all Solis could bring her mind to think about was Moon noticing her.

When the night girl had lifted her arms, some move Solis didn't understand, nor did she care to, the day girl felt as though she was being taunted. Perhaps the same way the sun felt when it came to meet that rocky crater in the sky, only for it to disappear.

Moon had lifted her arms again, and again, each time exposing her stomach to the burning sun. And Solis was not ignorant to the way her eyes began to trace her body, down to her legs— it made her mouth dry.

And it became hard, for Solis to sit there, and watch Moon, and pretend like she didn't care that the girl hadn't glanced her way once.

And it became harder, once she had.

All the blood had left Solis's face, like fishermen abandoning a sinking ship, and Moon smiled— she actually smiled, as if the day girl's whole being didn't disgust her. And the day girl, she forced a grin back, even in all her embarrassment, and the night girl smiled brighter (if that were even possible) like she didn't only not disgust her, but she liked her.

Then Solis, she had done the only thing she knew how to do, and looked away, once again finding her hands fiddling with her guitar.

And subdued by her soul, and captured by her gaze, like she was in a place between feeling dead, but never feeling more alive; she was basking in Moon's presence.

The wind sifted through the trees, and the grass danced, and the birds sang a tune so sweet, but for a moment, for just a moment— the sun and the moon met.

A solar eclipse.