Chapter 1

Aretha's POV

The worst thing that can EVER happen in a bus ride is for the person next to you to be a mother of a newborn baby. Scratch that! The worst thing that can EVER happen on a bus ride is for the person next to you to be a snorer. I was currently sandwiched in between a crying baby and a snoring coffin dodger. It's at times like this that life shows it's sense of humor. I had just gotten freedom after so long and yet life still makes the worst out of the situation.

"Freedom". A word that I only had a dictionary meaning of. The word which I had been begging to manifest in my life. I wonder how freedom feels. Maybe it brings a new air of confidence or happiness. If this was freedom, it certainly felt bad.

I looked out of the window. The woman had started breast-feeding the child. I turned back immediately as I considered it rude to stare at mothers when they were feeding their children. Or was it not rude? If I was caught staring at her it would be really awkward.

My inner debate was interrupted when the bus stopped. Finally! I pushed my way out of the bus, looking around for any clues of where I might be. The town buzzed with energy so nobody paid heed to anyone. You could announce that you were a serial killer on the run and no one would notice. Normal people would have just asked a random person where we were but I hate talking to people. I wouldn't say that I am antisocial, I socialized when needed. I think I just don't trust anyone but then again, who has there been to trust?

Seconds turned into minutes as I walked the streets of the city. I had to find someone to ask. Someone that didn't give pervert vibes would be a good choice, but everyone was too busy doing one thing or the other. Maybe I should use the map. Oh Great! Once again, my phone dies at the most unfortunate moment. Looks like I had to face my fears. I navigated through the crowd, spotting a boy that seemed my age who looked just as clueless as me. His brown, messy curls danced over his forehead, revealing his delicate facial features. His deep, brown eyes told a story which couldn't seem to interpret. His olive skin had a natural glow to it, giving me a fluttery feeling in my stomach. Choosing to ignore the dancing in my belly, I headed for him.

"Hiooooooo" I practically screamed at him. Now the first person I have met in this city thinks I'm  some psychopath on the run. He jumps, visibly shaken. Not the reaction that I was expecting but fair enough. Hopefully he answers my question without leaping unto the roof of one of the buildings when I speak again. "Can you tell me where the hell I am?"

Klaus's POV

Hemingburgh  is a wonderful place- nobody to meddle in your business because they are all too busy. After living in a small town in Monena for half of my life, it felt good to be able to have some space. Too bad some people did not understand that- people like the girl who just snuck up on me now. She probably wanted something. After 19 years on earth, I had learnt that most people just stuck around you for what you could give them- never what they could do for you. "Hi", I responded, trying to hide all annoyance in my voice. Luckily, she didn't seem to notice.

"Can you tell me where the hell I am?", the girl asked. I paused for a moment, examining the girl. Her blonde hair caressed her shoulders in happy, bouncy curls, contrasting to her pale skin that somehow seemed to have no blemishes. Her emerald eyes stood out the most, reminding me of my grandma's cat. She was really pretty, but in a peculiar way.

"We're in Hemingburgh" I huff. Hopefully she'd get the message and leave me alone.

"Hemin what", she asks. Ughhhh

"Hemingburgh".

"Never heard of it"

"Then why are you here?"

"Long story"

"Well now you know, so can you just go away"

"No need to be such a prick"

Excuse me, what? She too looks shocked by her choice of words. How dare she! She's the one who came to disturb my happy life and she dares to call me a prick. Before I can think of a comeback, she walks away. What a bitch.