5| I Hate You

Chapter 5|I Hate You

Nova

"I hate you!" Kelly pouts at me.

"I'm sorry! Look I'll pay for everything." I promise.

"Why did you bring me into this?" She stomps her foot.

"I didn't want to go alone!" I say to her. She groans, her head falling back.

"I hate you." She glares at me.

"Love you too." I smile innocently at her. She huffs, rolling her eyes.

"What do we need anyway?" She asks coming beside me.

"Just normal things you would bring on holiday. With the addition of workout clothes." I say as she looks through her wardrobe.

"Yeah, I don't own 'workout clothes. Who does?" She snorts.

"Uh me," I say. She looks at me and pretends to throw up, I roll my eyes at her silliness.

"Yeah well, you work out. Somethings not right there." She looks me up and down before Looking at me with a look.

"Don't look at me like that." I throw a pillow at her. She doesn't dodge it.

"See that's why it would be good for you to come." I nod at the pillow.

"Oh no a pillow attacked me!" She gasps dramatically.

"Funny. Seriously Kelly, hanging around with me, you're putting yourself in danger and if I'm not there to protect you..." I trail off. These people will do anything to have power and sometimes innocent people get hurt.

"Hey, if it helps you I'll go." She sits beside me and brings me into a side hug.

"Thank you. I'm sorry." I sigh.

"For what?" She giggles. I don't join in the laughter, my guilt consuming me.

"Wait. You didn't take my skittles did you?" She asks seriously.

"No." I giggle. She always cheers me up, no matter what situation we're in.

"Good." She nods her head.

"I'm sorry because being your friend has put a target on your back and I know people have tried to hurt you and your family before." I will always feel guilty for the danger I put her and her family through.

"Hey, don't be. You were always there." She smiles at me but I can still see how much that affected her.  The things they did still frighten her.

"Yeah, but because of me they wouldn't have been there in the first place." I can feel tears pool in my eyes.

"Hey, I would go through that again and again than never have met you." I look at her through tears and eyes.

"You don't mean that." I shake my head. I know what they did, the pain she went through not just physically but mentally.

"I do. You're making me cry now." She laughs wiping her eyes.

"That's because of me though." I trace my finger down the scar that runs down her jaw to her collar bone.

She shakes her head and takes her hand in mine. "No. It's not your fault. It's there's, you had no idea." She says sternly to me.

I wipe my eyes and nod my head even though I don't believe her. Those men wanted to hurt me and they couldn't get me so they went to hurt someone I cared for. I'll never forget the day I found her beaten and cut. I killed five men that day. I'll do it again.