Chapter 5

Ever since Echo told you that he had been hired to protect you, you hadn't been able to look at Adam the same. There was nothing special about you; You were just the exact same run-of-the-mill soldier that made up the rest of the White Fang, so you were dumbfounded as to why you had been singled out. Meanwhile, your guardian was enjoying the hysteria you had worked yourself up in to, and you could see the amusement on his face as he sat on your bedroll, watching your every move. "Pacing ain't gon' change what I told you, baby. You gotta sit down for a second."

You didn't hear him, well, you pretended like you didn't.

It didn't make sense- You didn't stand out. You didn't have silver eyes, you weren't a maiden, and your semblance wasn't of any real interest to anyone except yourself, so why were you the one being protected? Your initial shock turned into a sort of fear mixed with thankfulness that Adam was watching out for you, but it didn't feel right. It felt.. Tainted.  A man you barely knew had no right to be watching out for you this closely- Enough to get you a personal bodyguard who was supposedly a right hand to the most dangerous woman on the planet. Why?  You couldn't stop asking yourself why, though you were snapped out of your trance by the smallest electric shock- Echo had gently tapped your shoulder. "You better scoot, sweetheart.. I know we're on watch but Adam's gon' round that corner in the next thirty seconds so you might wanna dash if you wanna get out of his sight." He warned you.

This time you took his advice and walked away, though you quickly turned a corner so that you could listen to what was happening- Maybe Adam and Echo were talking behind your back about all of this, and your suspicions were true.

"Where's she gone?" The gruff voice of Adam seemed to silence even the crickets, and you heard Echo mutter something before the voice continued, "And you still haven't told her anything? Good." With this, you peek around the corner to watch the two, Adam taking a seat across from the other man. The two remained silent for a long while, and you considered leaving before Adam cleared his throat and your attention moved back to him, "So you're sticking here until you get the information you need? I can't sway you with any offers? Is it not enough to just watch the humans that killed you repent?" He questioned, and you heard that same joyful laugh from Echo.

"Just Schnee. I'll protect your girlfriend until I get Schnee."

Schnee.. Weiss Schnee? You remembered her well from the brief time you knew her at Beacon before you joined the White Fang; Prudish, stuck up, but there was still something magnetic about her, which confused you as to why Echo wanted her dead. You couldn't imagine her hurting anyone  so badly that they would harbour the rage Echo had- It was a rage you had only ever seen in Adam, though Echo's was purely bloodlust, unlike Adam's obsession for the Belladonna girl. It was terrifying to think about- If Echo held more rage than Adam, then what could he do? You had watched Adam mercilessly murder people in the name of passion- Passion for Blake. It horrified you that he was willing to go so far for the woman who had destroyed him, and his recent interest in you only made your stomach begin to churn more- What if his passion turned towards you? What if he murdered in the name of you?

You felt sick, and this time it was physical. You staggered from your hiding place and into the nearby bushes as you emptied your stomach, tears brimming your eyes as you leaned against one of the trees, coughing and spluttering. At first you believed you hadn't been heard, but even you could hear the almost silent footsteps as they made their way towards you, and you knew it could only be Adam. You closed your eyes and quietly cursed under your breath, knowing what was about to happening and preparing an apology until you felt a gentle hand on your back. Despite it being such a tender action, your body shuddered in discomfort and you stood up straight so that his hand would fall away, ".. Sorry, Adam. I woke up sick." You lied, expecting him to see through it, but his answer shocked you.

"Are you well?" He asked at first, "You haven't taken ill, have you? We'll have to put you on rest if you're sick." He grumbled, though he didn't seem annoyed that you would be doing your duties, instead it sounded as if he was annoyed that you were sick in the first place. "You shouldn't rest in your tent if you're ill-" You could sense the idea coming to him, and you quickly stepped away.

"I'm fine, Adam- I'm fine." You quickly blurted out, not wanting to go along with his idea, "I just woke up feeling strange, it's nothing." You smiled nervously as if to reassure him, making your way back towards your tent and narrowing your eyes when Adam followed closely behind you, as if he were protecting you from something that wasn't there. As you got closer to your tent you fully believed you were out of the woods, pushing the flap to the side until you heard Adam's voice again, and all the colour drained from your face.

"Stop lying. My quarters. Now."