Part 5 of 8

After breakfast the following morning, a knock comes on the door. Matilda and Cooper have been walking on eggshells around each other, not knowing what to say, but wishing the other would say something. By the time Matilda would make up her mind what to say, she would talk herself out of saying before the words ever reached her mouth. This time, however, she was going to address the night before, but the knock at the door prevents her. Frustrated, Matilda goes to the door and pulls the nob to the wooden door.

Standing on the other side of the screen door is a man who is dressed much in the same way Cooper was when he arrived. Though this man seems to care a great deal more about his appearance than Cooper did or does. "Can I help you?" He is tall and built like a man who goes for a run every morning at sunrise. He has a movie star type of face, with shining teeth and an almost glimmer to his pale eyes. Eyes, that Matilda realizes, are incredibly similar to Cooper's.

"I hope so." He answers, and though he holds his dazzling smile, she can hear the hesitation in his voice. "My brother told me he is living here." Everything about this man screams big city money, and yet, here he is out in the country in the middle of nowhere Kansas.

"You are Cooper's brother." Matilda opens the screen door, and motions for him to come in. She glances around the living room but realizes that Cooper must have gone somewhere.

"Jackson Bryant." He politely offers his hand, though she knows he is curious and has a suspicion of who she is.

Matilda takes his hand with a light shake. She wonders in that second if he is left-handed, or if he used it as an opportunity to check her left hand for a ring. "Matilda Bryant." She returns and gives him the answer to his unspoken question.

"I suspected as much." He admits with a now genuine smile, and he notices the ring. He hesitates for just a second at seeing it, as though he is surprised to see it, but then he lets her hand go. "Well, my brother has certainly caught the prettiest fish in the ocean, if you don't mind my saying so." Cooper, Matilda has observed, has a little charm, but Jackson has a lot of it, however, Matilda can see that it is a mask. What kind of person lies underneath?

"Thank you," Matilda replies with a smile. "I am really glad I get to meet you. Cooper talks about you a lot more than I think he realizes." She laughs softly and notices that he seems surprised. "All good things, I promise." She adds, fearing that her new brother-in-law would think his brother vents to her about him. "Coop?" Matilda calls and hears the back door shut and footsteps. Chief comes bounding through and slides on the floor to Matilda's side.

Cooper appears in the living room and walks up to Matilda. "I was just letting Chief out for a moment before he got all excited." Matilda smiles up at him, and he gazes down at her for a lingering second before turning to his brother. "I figured that was you."

"I have to go make some phone calls," Matilda admits with a shrug. "I let you boys talk." She snaps twice to get Chief's attention and then points to the study. His butt wiggles down the hall and disappears into the study, with her not far behind. She shuts the door, knowing that she does not have to make any calls, but she knows that there are tensions between the two brothers. It is best if they hash it all out now, then to do it later. She sits down at her desk and realizes a second later that it is an excellent spot for eavesdropping. She tries to focus on working on the bank statements, but she finds it hard to focus.

"Are you not glad to see me?" Jackson questions and she can hear the small amount of true pain in his voice.

Someone sighs, and she suspects it is Cooper. "I am always glad to see you, Jackson," Cooper admits and she knows that he means it. She knows truly little of her brother-in-law, but Cooper does care about him and misses him. "But I also know you. You only show up when you need something, and you are too desperate to say it over the phone or go to Father for." One of the kitchen chairs scoots on the floor, followed by another. "I just wish you would visit just because you want to see me and hang out with me, and not for money. So, how much do you need."