14| Curiosity Killed the Cat

"Sometimes memories are the worst form of torture."

Your hand tightens on the handle of the door, the silence of the convenience store deafening. You're not sure what to say, but it's clear something happened to the hero.

The journalist part of you wants to know more; interview him, swamp him with questions. But another part of you wants to run. To save yourself and get out of here.

You wonder what Hiroto would say.

"Curiosity killed the cat," he would smirk, then light a cigar, most likely. 

Well then, you think to yourself, looks like this cat is about to die.

You let go of the door handle, turning around completely to face Midoriya. He tilts his head, as if intrigued by your decision to stay.

"I can see it in your eyes," he coos, leaning forward on his tip-toes, "the panic. What's gotten you so scared?"

And he's right. You're scared, but not of him. 

You're scared of whatever could've turned your favorite hero into this. What could have taken such a pure, devoted hero and twisted him into this shattered version of his former self?

Midoriya pulls up a chair for you, then sits down in one of his own. He's across from you in the cashier's spot; it's ironic, really. You feel as if you're about to step right in the middle of a landmine, but there he sits, calm and smirking.

He taps the bell on the counter, smiling.

"What can I get for you today?" 

You frown. What a weirdo.

He only sits back, as if reading your mind and knowing you've wanted to ask these questions. His mouth twitches up into a smile as you fiddle with your hands nervously.

"What made you like this?"  You whisper, thinking out loud and not intending for him to hear.

He does though, and answers your question with a question.

"Tell me, darling," he says, leaning forward and resting his chin on his hands, "How do you destroy a monster without becoming one?"

You blink. 

Your questions and thoughts are piling on top of each other, threatening to spill over the dam you've created. Midoriya grins.

The dam breaks.

"So was this all a big plan to overcome your enemies?" You say, itching for a notebook to write his response, "Or is this the result of something else? A bigger plan? Who is the real enemy, here?"

Midoriya doesn't respond. "I wonder that, too, sometimes."

You're quiet. What do you say to a hero who's lost his villain? What is a hero without a villain?

But then you realize. "Wait," you say slowly, "are you calling yourself a monster, Deku?"

Something in his eyes snaps at the mention of his hero name. You can see a thousand memories replaying in his head, twisting, contorting, but never stopping. He teeth clench as if he's in physical pain; as if there's a fight going on in his head.

Midoriya stands up, slapping the counter with his hands. His hair hangs in his eyes and his breathing is shallow. 

His knuckles are white from the grip on the knife that he pulled out of nowhere. His hand is shaking. 

"Names,"  he mutters, just loud enough so you can hear, "are the bridge."

He takes the knife and throws it on the ground. Then he takes a deep breath, his chest slowly rising and falling. 

You don't move. This guy is unpredictable, hero or not. You suddenly regret not leaving when you had the chance.

"Come with me," he says suddenly, lifting his head. His face is plastered with a smile and his eyes are determined.

"Why? I . . . " You stutter, "I don't want to."

Midoriya shrugs. "It's your choice."

He sits down, looking you in the eyes. His are an emerald green. The same eyes you thought you knew for almost ten years.

"You can continue with your worthless life,

or you can become someone who matters."