49.5| Not Good, Not Bad

Nakano

6 years ago

"Are you stuck here too?"

She can't see him, but his voice is almost like a light in the dark. His kind and careful tone makes her perk up and her heart start to pound. 

She can only see the bars of her cage by the dim light glowing from her arm. The cursed coil, glowing like a sinister smile. She glances to where the voice is coming from.

She doesn't reply.

"I'm sorry," he says, "that was pretty insensitive of me, considering you're the one in the cage."

His voice is quiet and careful, like he's talking to a wild beast.

"What do you want?"  She mumbles.

"I want to know," he sucks in a breath, then starts to whisper, "if you want to get out of here."

She doesn't move, but clenches her fists. "He'd find me."

"He might find you, but he'd never find us," the boy says. She hears the scraping of metal against metal, and a snap.

"Come with me."

She crawls forward, scraping her knees on the metal of the cage. When she stands, her knees immediately buckle from the strain of her body. She hasn't been able to stretch in weeks.

She feels the mysterious boy's hand catch her, pulling her up against him.

"What's your name?" He asks, throwing some tool to the ground and kicking away the busted cage.

She doesn't answer him.

"We have to be quiet," she tells him, collecting herself, "he has cameras."

"That's why I kept the light off," he replies, leading her across the pitch black room. "What's your name?"

"What's yours?"

"Some people call me Akinari. You?"

"I don't remember."

He pushes open a door, and light floods into the room. It stings her eyes and she clenches them shut, grabbing hold of Akinari's arm.

She looks at him for the first time, her savior that she followed with blind hope and desperation.

He has sandy hair and freckles dusting his cheeks. His brown eyes look her up and down, landing on her arm.

"Does it hurt?"

She lets go of him. "Sometimes it burns."

"I'm sorry."

"You didn't do it," she says, "there's no need for empty apologies."

They both continue to walk through the complex, finally coming to a door labeled "exit".

"I know who did, and maybe if I had stopped him before, we wouldn't be here."

"Who are you?"

Akinari turns to her, his uncut hair falling into his eyes. "I'm a captive, just like you."