Chapter ten: Vick's offer

Celia's deep sleep was disturbed by the brightness of the morning sun and the chirping of birds. She tossed over onto her stomach, face first into the extraordinarily plush pillow. She breathed in, picking up Antonio's lovely fragrance from the cushion.

Coming to her, she quickly remembered where she had been and what occurred the night before. Her head raised; Her sleepy eyes cracked as they glided across the room. Antonio was nowhere to be found.

The colors of the room were heavy, deep red tones; the wallpaper and the curtains were almost brooding. To her right was the big bay window, which happened to be the source of the harsh sunlight and the bothersome sounds. Right outside of the window the green leaves of a tree blew gently in the wind as little blue jays flew to and from the branches.

Celia looked down at the gray bed sheet she was wrapped up in and turned over to sit herself up against the headboard. The thought that she had probably been used for sex crossed her mind. Had she been only on a one-night stand, she would have to take that up with Antonio at a later date. She needed her phone to see what the time was.

Knowing the time was important because Cameron was spending his usual one night a weekend with Nina since they moved out. Nina would usually drop him off at home at four o'clock. Celia had to be home soon. She grabbed parts of the sheet to cover her breasts, preparing to get out of bed to her left to find her belongings. Stopping her from getting up immediately was the tray of food covered with a dome. It seemed that Antonio had been more thoughtful than she assumed. Just as Celia stood up, Antonio entered the room fully dressed, shutting the door behind him.

"Where did you go?" Celia asked with her hands supporting the sheet around her body.

Antonio halted at the other end of the bed, leaning up against the wooden canopy frame with his shoulder.

"Work. I started my day early." He murmured while staring her down. "Are you not hungry?" He jerked his head in the direction of where her breakfast was. "Sit down, eat for a second. You don't have to be in a rush." He tried to comfort her. Celia remained standing.

"I was gonna look at the time. My son is going to be home around three or four." Celia said as if she were in a hurry. Antonio kept still.

"It's only ten thirty, Celia," Antonio informed her.

Celia plopped back into position on Antonio's bed.

"Oh, good." She forced out half a laugh.

On her mind was what took place the night prior. Celia wondered how she would go about establishing boundaries with Antonio after a night like that. It was nerve-wracking to her because not only did they cross the line too soon but she didn't want to be a part of another pointless relationship. Celia was in no shape to give in to the physical; with last night being the exception.

Antonio took one step over and sat down on the bed. He scooted close enough to reach the table where her meal rested. They were close once again. He could tell that there was something on Celia's mind but it was not in him to force it out of her. Antonio stretched his arm over to the tray, removing the dome, and seized the carton of Orange Juice. He unscrewed the top of it and poured the juice into the cup for her. He set the carton back down. Celia opened her mouth to address the elephant in the room but Antonio beat her to the punch.

"I know we kinda," Antonio started, "went a little too far last night. I'm sorry about that. I wasn't trying to do that." He finished. Celia's tense posture loosened up a bit.

"I agree. I'm sorry too." Celia's voice turned down and she made eye contact with Antonio.

Antonio picked up on the intense amount of worry in Celia by the way she looked at him. In the one night of knowing her, he learned one fact about Celia: She couldn't hide her feelings. Celia was unknowing of how expressive her eyes were. She gave away her feelings and thoughts just by the stares and glances she'd give. She heedlessly wore her heart on her sleeve but didn't seem to hate it; It was the kind of authenticity Antonio could appreciate.