Chapter twenty eight: Nothing to Lose & Everything to Gain

Author's note:

***Accidentally published before I could finish the last few paragraphs and Wattpad kept crashing every time I tried to add them. This chapter is updated now. Sorry if you had to read my incomplete work.*** Thanks for reading.***

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Michael entered the dark living area where the silhouette of his brother could be seen in the open window. Michael didn't need to ask if he was tense. His stand-offish mood and short sentences said it for him. Antonio had been in deep thought for most of the day while Celia and Cameron stayed in the bedroom. He had unintentionally eavesdropped on Celia and Antonio's conversation about what to do next hours prior.

Michael hated that he had to bother his brother. He wanted to leave Antonio to himself, giving him the space he may have needed. But, the caller on the other end of the burner phone had a very urgent message for Antonio.

Michael tapped Antonio's shoulder, "Phone."

Antonio twisted around slowly, looking at Michael and then down to the minute phone he had stretched out to him. He thought, for a second, to decline the call. However, with a quick pass over, he accepted the phone and put it to his ear.

"Yeah." He answered it lazily.

"Murder, what's up?"  Rico's friend by the name of Perk said on the line.

Perk's voice was distinct; Raspy, deep, and choppy. Being from Chicago added a slight accent to his tone. Perk was a friend Rico had made years ago on a trip to Miami. Rico needed a quick favor and, by recommendation, Perk was chosen. He was tall, dark, and frightening. Just like the people Antonio associated with, he never hesitated when the drama came around. Overall, anyone Rico trusted had to be worth hearing out.

"What's going on, Perk?" Antonio said.

"I just heard some shit and I don't know how true it is but I gotta tell you." Perk began.

"I'm listening." Antonio grew attentive.

"Word on the east side is Vick got a price on your girl's head," Perk told.

Antonio's face contorted, "Who the fuck said that?"

Michael drew closer to Antonio in reaction.

"I'm hearing the bullshit everywhere from all kinds of people," Perk responded.

"Well, let everybody know Vick ain't got much longer. Good looking, Perk." Antonio informed him and then ended the call.

"What he say?" Michael questioned immediately.

A look that Michael had never seen on Antonio's face appeared.

"He might be looking for Celia." His worry was evident.

"Then we get his ass before he can," Michael replied.

"I'll call Rico," Antonio said in a monotone voice.

Cameron was perched in Celia's lap occupied with his race cars while his mother brushed his unruly hair. She pulled his hair back into a ponytail and secured it with a hair tie. He jumped up to his feet and bounced on the bed.

"Am I done?" Cameron checked.

"Yes," Celia answered.

"Can I go downstairs to watch TV now?" Cameron cheesed.

Celia tilted her head, "You don't wanna stay up here with me?"

He shook his head.

"Okay, go ahead." She permitted him.