It Had to be Her

warnings: death, violence,  angst, minor cussing and minor fluff

"Watch your back!" You shouted to your best friend, swinging a sword over his head.

"Where the hell did you get a sword?" he asked as he ducked, allowing the blade to slide seamlessly into an attacker.

"The closet."

"The closet?!"

"I'm not gonna question it, okay? It's a weapon, I might as well use it!"

He rolled his eyes and spotted a man running up behind you. He quickly teleported behind you, punched he man in the gut, and moved so that you could drive the blade home.

You were met with silence as blood spurted from the dead man's injury.

Grinning, you pulled the sword out of the man and looked at your best friend. "Is that all of 'em?"

He didn't smile. It was a rule that he had mentally made not to smile until he was sure that they were out of danger. "Not sure. There were a lot of them. Not to mention that we still need to find Klaus."

"Oh, right. Figures, he's the exact type of person that would wander off in the middle of a fight," you said with a sigh, dragging the sword behind you as you followed your friend.

Despite his rule, Five smiled. You just had that effect on him. The heart fluttery, stomach-churning, sparkly-eyed effect that being in love did to a person.

Not that the feeling was mutual. At least, that's what Five told himself. He didn't want to get his hopes up, you were just ... you were his best friend. He didn't exactly have many of those. If he lost you because of his stupid feelings, then he wasn't sure WHAT he'd do.

"Hey Five," you spoke up from behind him. "I think-"

You were cut off by a gunshot, and didn't even have time to scream before you fell to the floor.

Five spun around, his eyes wide and his mouth open in horror at the sight of you bleeding out on the ground, a bullet hole in your neck. "NO! Y/N NO!"

The faint click of a gun being cocked came from above your body, and he raised his eyes to see a woman pointing a gun at him.

Rage made him move quickly, aggressively. In a literal flash of blue light he was across the room, and the gun was in his hand and it was pointing at that woman and the trigger was pulled before a single thought had time to cross his mind.

Then back to you. All in a heartbeat.

"Y/N," he whispered, falling to his knees beside you. You were already gone, of course. You were dead before you hit the ground, the bullet having torn straight through your vitals.

But the last thing you saw was him. Your best friend.

"Y/N, I'm sorry," he whispered, tears dripping onto your skin as he held your still face in his hands. Your eyes gazed blankly at the ceiling, your eyelashes fluttering from the Five's breath. "No, oh God, Y/N, you shouldn't've had to go, it shouldn't've been you, dammit! It shouldn't have been you!"

He didn't know how long he crouched there, sobbing over your body, before there was a gentle tap on his shoulder. "Five?"

He jerked his head up and leapt to his feet. The sight of his brother made him want to scream. "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU, KLAUS?!? Y/N DIED BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPIDITY! IF YOU HAD JUST STAYED WITH US-"

"Hey, Five, calm down," Klaus said gently, reaching out and laying a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Can't you do your whole time-travel thing and get her back? Go back a few seconds and stop whatever it was that killed her?"