Meet the Murder Victim - Two

warnings: fluff, it's really just a transition chapter to the conclusiong of part 3

Your heart-rate was through the roof with excitement as you finished up the project you and Reginald were working on. All you could think about were the two boys in the hallway, and the date you had with them later.

Shut up Y/N, it's not a date. It's a meeting.

Once you and Reginald had finished the project, he excused you without a backwards glance.

"I have a meeting in town quite soon, so I'm afraid we must finish up early," he told you as he pulled his coat on and headed out the door. "I will see you again on Saturday."

"Yessir," you said, your heart pounding. All you could think about was getting to the courtyard, meeting the boys-

You shook yourself and straightened your jacket, exhaling and closing your eyes to calm your nerves. Chill out, Y/N. It's just a meeting with a couple of idiot teenage boys. Nothing special. Really, there's nothing special.

You grabbed your bag and hurried out of the lab, up the stairs and slowing to a stop in the living room. It was deserted, giving you time to realize just how massive it was. There was a bar at one end, with plenty of bottles scattered about, half full and opened and unopened mingling together. Seems unsafe to have around a bunch of kids. But no matter.

The door to the courtyard was slightly open. Voices could be heard from it, bouncing off of the walls and slipping into the living room.

You entered it slowly, almost cautiously, unsure of what you would find. But the only things there were a bench and two kids.

"Uh, hi," you said, almost shyly as you stepped into the courtyard, closing the door behind you.

Five leapt to his feet, feeling a blush rush to his face. "H-Hey. Hi. Hi." He clasped his hands in front of him, determined not to let his calm facade slip again.

Klaus, however, was the opposite. Knowing that Five liked you was one thing, but this, this made Five want to kick Klaus.

"Hello!" Klaus said brightly, bouncing over to you and sticking out his hand for you to shake. "I think we've met before, but it doesn't hurt to introduce yourself again, does it? I'm Klaus, and that's my lil bro Five!"

You smiled and took his hand, shaking it genially. "I'm Y/N. Nice to meet you both in ... better circumstances."

"Oh yeah, our pops," Klaus said lazily, waving his hand like he was at a parade. "He's always ruinin' stuff. As in everything. He ruins everything."

"I'd say I can relate but he does seem pretty ... eccentric." Your gaze drifted to Five and you smiled, feeling a fluttery feeling start in your chest when he smiled back stiffly.

"Yeah, yeah, he is, he is." Klaus, even as extroverted as he was, seemed to be tiring of the conversation pretty quickly. He wandered over to the bench, paused, and then walked past it to lean against the tree. Five realized what his brother was doing and almost smiled. He's leaving the bench for me and Y/N.

You went over to the bench and took a seat, resting your hands neatly in your lap and gazing around at the courtyard as Five moved to sit beside you, still about a foot away but close enough that you felt your heart flutter. Dammit, what's with me?!? you thought angrily to yourself.

But you were soon lost in thoughts and conversation as the three of you began talking. You realized that you and Five weren't actually that different from each other; quiet but determined and hardworking, extremely smart, and easily annoyed and frustrated with people that weren't on your level.

And then there was Klaus, of course. He was great, you had to admit. Really funny and sweet and random, but he made your day. Only thing was, he was always interrupting you and Five to say something that was undoubtedly funny, but also annoying in hindsight.

"You should probably go," Five said eventually, making eye contact with you before quickly turning away. "Dad'll be home soon, and if he finds you here-"

"He'll lose his shit!" Klaus finished triumphantly, springing to his feet and making a beeline for the door. "I'll walk you out, Y/N."

You grinned as you stood up. "Thanks, Klaus."

He was already out the door.

You glanced back at Five, who had stood up as well, and cleared your throat awkwardly. "Y'know, it'd be nice to, uh, get to know you more. Outside of here. Without Klaus, 'case as much as I love him-"

"He's a lot to take in," Five agreed with a slight smile. A reddened face as you averted each other's gazes. "Yeah, I get it. And I ... I'd like to get to know you too."

Your smile widened. "Great! I, uh, well, how about Saturday night? Does that work for you?"

His heart was thumping as he nodded. "That's perfect. Just, uh, meet - meet me here? Or I'll meet you there, or uh-"

"Here. Outside the Academy. Tomorrow evening." You confirmed.

His smile was relieved as he nodded. "I'll see you then."

You smiled and turned away, tucking a stray strand of hair behind your ear. "See you then!"

And neither of you could wait.