Butterflies

(Y/n POV)
"Spencer, we're home from school!" Carly shouted as she opened the door into her apartment. Me, her, Sam, and Freddie are about to practice for iCarly. I'm so glad they brought me on to help with the writing/ideas! But, I am nervous, I want to make a good impression!

"Hello, kids who come and go into my home as they please." That was Spencer, I'm assuming-Carly's older brother. He's in the kitchen working on some kind of sculpture-it looks like a butterfly, maybe?

We dropped our bags at the door and walked into the kitchen. Well, Sam practically ran for her life, flung open the fridge, and began eating the chili. Spencer turned around to greet us and...

"How was sch-ohhhhh. Who's the new freaky friend?"

Me? What's so weird about me?!

"Oh, that's y/n," Freddie answered, "she's helping us with some ideas for the show."

"Well, isn't that just scrumptious. Speaking of scrumptious, got a new box of Fudge Balls."

"Another hot mom?" Sam asked, through mouthfuls of chili.

"Oh, no, just picked some up at the grocery store. No woman for Spencer as of now."

"Alright, well, I'm ready to rehearse if you all are!" Carly declared as she made her way to the staircase, followed by Freddie and Sam (carrying the chili bowl of course). But I didn't want to leave yet. I want to learn more about...Um, the..."fudge balls".

"Y/N, is it?" Spencer beckoned. I sat on the table and shoved my hand into the fudge ball box.

"Yep. Spencer, is it?"

He chuckled as he put down his paint brush. "Yep back atcha. How come I've never seen you here before?"

Oh, he actually wants to know more about me? I felt like hundreds of his butterfly sculptures were fluttering around my stomach.

"I don't know, I guess I only started having classes with Carly this year..."

"Hey, better late than never! Could you pass me a fudge ball?" I took one out of the box and offered it to him, expecting him to take it from my hand. Instead, he opened his mouth. Probably in response to my confused face, he stammered

"O-oh, right, my bad, it's just that I have paint all over my hands and...I wouldn't want to damage the balls.."

Ugh, obviously! How could I think anything different? I nodded, stuttering out:

"Of course! Yeah, no problem..." and so his mouth opened again and I slowly put the fudge ball inside. For just a second, I felt his tongue swirl around my fingers as I drew my hand back. From the surprised look in his eyes, I can only assume it was an accident.

He munched on the ball in silence as we stared at each other. Me still on the table, and him hunched next to what I now see as a beautiful monarch butterfly.

"...I should probably just wash my hands," he explained, making his way to the sink behind me, "It's just about finished. What do you think?"

What do I think? I think it's the most glorious thing I've ever seen in my life. It belongs in the most prestigious art galleries, it must be worth a million dollars, it makes me feel filled with hope and joy.

"It's nice." NICE? Of all the words I could have said...I chose nice. And I'm supposed to be good with words...

"Just nice? Ha, well it sounds like it still needs some work." No! It's perfect! Gah, I'm such an idiot. As I feel my face flush with embarrassment, Spencer returns from the sink and is now standing in front of me with a paintbrush wet with red paint.

"Go ahead." He said, "Gank it all up." What? Destroy this incredible sculpture...with splatters of red paint?

"Really?"

"Sure! It's supposed to be for the endangered butterfly center, anyway. Plus, it looks too normal to be one of my sculptures. So, gank it all up! Here, I'll help you."

He ushered me out of my seat and stood behind me, with arms wrapped around mine, putting the paint brush in my hand as he reeled back our arms and found the paint onto the butterfly's wings!

We laughed at the now-strange beauty of the piece. "See, it's already looking better! Go ahead, I'll help." He stepped back and grabbed another red paint brush...but I wished he had stayed behind me. He felt so warm, holding on to me from behind, so safe in his arms...but, for now, I'll join in on "ganking" this butterfly up!

We spun in circles around the creation, flinging our paintbrushes every which way, laughing the whole time. I might have gotten some paint in my mouth. After about a minute of this painting pandemonium, we sat on the floor, breathing heavily.

"Man, *pant, pant* I could really go for a fudge ball right now."

"Yeah," I agreed, "me too."

So, I hoisted myself back onto the table as Spencer pulled out a chair for himself, and we both reached into the fudge ball box...at the same time.