Denial- Jily

I was furious. And ashamed. Also in denial. I, Lily Evans, did NOT like James bloody Potter. He was arrogant (not this year), hexed people for no reason (also not much this year, Snape excepted) and he was a player (I had yet to see him with a single girlfriend).

I had missed my chance. Last time I had seen him, I had shouted at him; insulted his family, plus directly insulting his recently deceased mother; and sent him to the hospital wing with a particularly fiery hex.

What wounded the fact that I liked him even more was the fact that I just needed a vent. My sister had practically disowned me after our parents were killed in a Death Eater massacre, she didn't even let me through the doors at their funeral. Snape once again had driven me through the wall with his taunting and insults. Why couldn't I vent like a normal person, by screaming into my pillow or something? I found the answer. I needed James Potter, and he needed me. We infuriated each other, teased other, drove each other mad, but still we got along. We were perfect, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But still, I had blown it.

"Lily?" A very familiar voice sounded behind me. I whipped around to see the object of my short-standing affections.

"I thought you were majorly angry at me and the world and went to get piss-drunk in Hogsmead with Black." I said sheepishly, ashamed that I was wrong. Again. He flung himself on the other end of the sofa I was sitting on.

"Nah, I dont drink." He said gingerly. Surprising. I have to stop assuming things, or I'll come across as an idiot one day.

"Really? I thought- Never mind. Shouldn't you be with Sally-Anne or whatever your girlfriend of the week is called?" I said, hoping I was wrong. He raised an eyebrow.

"'Girlfriend of the week'? Sirius and I aren't interchangeable you know. I would never do that to a poor girl." He said, eyebrow still arched. "Besides, I think of what my mother would have said." He added quietly. Now I felt really bad. What do you do after you badly misjudge the man who has been chasing you for six years? Time to make it up to him. He seemed to have discovered the slightly devilish smile creeping over my face.

"Lily?" He asked apprehensively.

"James...?" I asked slyly. He looked up at me, a questioning look on his face. I popped the question. "What if a girl asked you out right now?" He looked slightly bewildered, to my delight.

"Well, seeing as no one can get into our common room, except for Sirius, who isn't a girl, I-" I cut him off. Gosh, he was acting so delightfully innocent.

"Hypothetically James." I said sternly.

"I would have to say no, seeing as I am waiting for you and such." He said easily. I slipped closer to him on the couch.

"What if she looked just like me?" A look of dawning appeared in those hazel eyes, along with a hint of his old cockiness.

"Seeing the girl wouldn't be you, the answer would still be no."

"What if it was me? Hypothetically of course."

"I would have to say no, seeing as I am a manly man and such, but I might ask you rather loudly in front of the entire Great Hall if you would snog me later." He said jokingly, arrogance and amusement shining in his eyes. James had a slight loss of balance, so I seized the advantage and bent over him.

"Go out with me, Potter?"

Sirius Orion Black had experienced many strange things during his school career at Hogwarts, but none so strange as bouncing into the Head's common room after a Hogsmead raid to see the Head Boy and Girl, better known as Prongs and Lily-Flower, snogging heatedly on the sofa.