Part 13 After school troubles

The day had come to a close, and Nishikata and Takagi were getting ready for their walk home. "So, you sure there's nothing you want to ask the teachers about?"

"I'll be fine." She said as she picked up her bag. "Let me just grab my hand outs for the week I missed and let's go home."

The three of them made their way to the front of the class room where the teacher handed her a bag full of school material and made their way out of the classroom.

"I wish I lived in the same direction as you." Takagawa said as they walked down the hall. "That way I could walk home with you and not have to walk twice the distance to get back to my house."

"It's fine." Takagi replied. "I have Nishikata."

As they continued their way down the hall, a few more of Takagi's friends came up to her, eager to talk with her. "Hey Takagi." One of them began. "We were wondering if you wanted to hang out with us today, so we can help you jog some of your memories."

"That sounds great!" She paused. "But ... I told my father that I'd come straight home after school today, unless I needed to see a teacher after school. Are you all free tomorrow?"

"Definitely."

"Okay then, I look forward to it."

"Okay, see you tomorrow." They walked in the other direction as Nishikata, Takagi, and Takagawa continued making their way to the front gate, where they would part ways with Takagawa. "I'll see you tomorrow Takagi." She said before walking off.

"So, shall we get going ourselves?" Takagi asked.

"Yeah."

They began making their way back to Takagi's house in relative peace. "So, how was your first day back at school?" Nishikata asked.

"Well, I can't say I have any complaints, the new material was a bit much, but ... most of the school work seems to be coming back easier than everything else ... except history,"

Nishikata had to prevent himself from laughing. "Well ... um ... do you want me to help with anything?"

"You think you can tutor me?" She asked almost playfully.

"I ... can't ... sorry."

"It's fine." She said as she grabbed her hands behind her back. "I'm glad ... that you offered to help."

"I just wish I could help."

They continued walking until they reached a vending machine, where Nishikata stopped and pulled out his wallet. "Hm?" Takagi mumbled as she looked over his shoulder.

He pulled out some money, bought a grape juice, and handed it to her. "Here."

"But I didn't beat you in anything."

"Yeah, but ... I just wanted to, okay?"

She took the grape juice, but just stared at it. "Hey ... can I ask you something?"

"Um ... sure?"

"So ... I think I'm somewhat caught up on a lot of things ... except ... us."

"Us?"

"Yeah, what are we to each other?"

Nishikata began to blush as he tried to look away. "I mean ... we're friends."

"That's what we were ... but what are we now?"

"I ... why do you ask?"

"Because you're not shy to show how much you care about me."