Part 26 The end

They had stayed at the spot for what felt like hours, and had finally started going home when the sun had started going down. "I'm sorry I kept you out so late." Nishikata said, as they walked hand in hand.

"You don't have to worry, I told my mom I was going out and was probably going to be out late. I bet she went straight to the store to finally get my phone taken care of."

"Well, that's a relief." He looked over to her, then down at her fingers, which were interlocked with his. "So ... what happens now? I mean ... I'm not sure how this whole dating thing really works."

"Well, for starters, you don't have to be nervous of someone seeing us as a couple."

"That's very true."

"And we should probably start hanging out more outside of school."

"That is also true."

"Other than that, I don't think it'll change much."

"Well that ... a little ..."

"It's not disappointing, as they alway say, if a relationship doesn't change after getting together, and it is still very fulfilling, then it is probably a very strong relationship."

Nishikata smiled. "Yeah." 'I can't really complain, I have the girl I've slowly been falling for walking right next to me. I don't care if I get teased, I want to spend the rest of my days with her.'

"Hey, Nishikata?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we ... make a promise?"

"Of course, just name it."

"If ... this," she pointed to her head. "Ever happens to either of us again ... the other will tell them the truth ... that we're a couple? Or engaged, or married, or whatever we are as soon as they learn that the other one doesn't remember?"

"Well sure ... but why?"

"I was worried about what our relationship was for so long ... I didn't know if you had already confessed recently, and we became an item, and you were just not telling me because ... of many reasons ... I appreciate that you were trying to be considerate ... but going forward, let's not keep something like that from each other."

"Okay, but I'd prefer if this didn't happen again, at all."

"As would I." She said as she walked closer to him. "So ... is there anything else that you wanted to do together before we called it a night?"

"Like what?"

She looked at him flirtatiously. "You know, like something romantic."

He began to blush as he nervously scratched the back of his head. "I-I ... maybe we should just pick this up tomorrow?"

"If you insist." She relaxed and looked forward.

It didn't take them long to reach her house, as it was only a few blocks away, even if they were walking at a slower pace. "If I get my phone back, then I'll text you later tonight, if not, then I'll call you from my house line tomorrow."

"Okay, I look forward to it."

"Okay." She opened the door and gave him one final wave. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She walked inside, and as soon as she closed the door behind her, she dropped to her knees, as her lips trembled with excitement. "Today was ... just amazing!" She got up, and began making her way up the stairs. "I need to make sure to write this down, this is one memory I never want to forget!"