Chapter 2 - I'm in heaven

Mason's POV

"Why did you force me to take this class with you?" Juliana whines, adjusting her low-cut pink blouse, muttering the whole time how she got stuck in digital marketing. I look away as she reaches down her shirt because she's my best friend and my teammate's girlfriend.

I open the heavy hardwood door and gesture for her to walk through it. She winks at me and starts down the stairs towards the uncomfortable stadium style seats. The university added the smallest fold-out desks possible to the sides of the chairs. I don't know how I'm supposed to fit my laptop on this thing to watch baseball film during lectures.

I follow her into the second to last row and drop my bookbag on the floor.

"We're the same major. You have to take this class." I point out, pulling out my phone. As a Digital Media and Marketing major we have ten core classes the university makes us complete before graduation. College is pretty much a scam considering I have to take forty-two credits of complete bullshit classes like advanced math, biology, and university life 101.

I open Snapchat and scroll through the countless unopened pictures from girls around campus. I open one from a girl I hooked up with last semester. Her face is half in it and she's smiling without showing her teeth so her dimple on the right side shows.

Ah, dimples. She knows how to get what she wants, but not today sweetheart. It's a new semester.

"I could've taken an easier major elective though but no you forced me to take a hard one." Juliana continues to complain as she pulls the desk towards her.

I glare at her. She knows I don't like the word forced. I don't force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. I watched enough force, physical and mental, from my father over my mom and I in my lifetime that I promised myself I would never stoop that low. Everything I do is consensual.

Everything.

"You still have time to drop it." I mutter. I close the app and slide my phone into my bookbag. I pull out a notebook and start doodling baseballs on the margins.

I can't wait to get out this class and get to practice. My team only had three players graduate last year so we retained most our talent and this year, I'm the captain. I have high expectations for the team, but also for myself. This is my year to shine for the scouts. I've practically locked up the first round spot in next year's draft.

"No, it's fine. I can't leave you all alone in this class full of females." she says, waving her hand dramatically towards the lecture hall. I look up from my notebook and take in the scene unfolding before me.

She's right, this class is crawling with hot chicks. Girls are piling into the lecture hall, brunettes, blondes, and even a couple of redheads. I'm in heaven.

"I should pretend to be your girlfriend" she jokes, pretending to move closer to me.

I laugh and shake my head. Nobody would buy that. Juliana and I have been best friends since high school, and everyone knows she's dating our university's starting pitcher. She makes it well known to the cleat chasers that she's dating the pitcher with the wicked curveball. Not that I think those girls even know what a curveball is, but I bet they could spot his ass in a lineup.

I look to the left and nod to a girl I recognize from my freshman year then look right when I see her. She walks past me down the steps to the front row, oblivious to my staring. I check out her ass as Juliana laughs, catching me in the act.

"That's Lexi Olson." she explains, pointing out the tall, dark-haired girl.

Lexi settles into her seats and starts shifting around in her bag. I see at least three textbooks and a few notebooks. How many damn classes does she have today? Is she a communications major? How come I haven't seen her in any of my pre-requisite classes?

"Is she new?" I ask. I watch her find the textbook for this course and pull it out. She bought the textbook already? Damn, maybe I should rethink teaming up with Juliana for projects in this class.

"No. She's been here since freshman year."

"Then why is this the first time I'm seeing her?"

"Because she's not a communications major. Remember the blonde girl Kaylee that Noah's obsessed with? She's her roommate. They have a third girl too, but I can't remember her name. "

I peel my eyes off of Lexi and look at Juliana. "How do you know that?"

"Kaylee is my sorority sister." she says, shrugging. "She's one of the only ones who chose to live out of the Greek house."

I check her out again as she pulls out her computer, her slender fingers typing away. Lexi has an hourglass figure with toned legs that make me wonder if she's a runner. She has to be with calves like that. She has a striking face with high cheekbones and freckles splattered across her nose. She turns to look at me sensing that I'm checking her out.

Our eyes meet and I'm lost in their blue coloring. They're as blue as the ocean on the gulf coast and for a second, I forget that I'm staring. She bites her lower lip and I'm wishing I was biting her lip. I shoot her a wink, her cheeks flushing pink and she whips her head back around.

"She's hot." I tell Juliana, continuing to stare. I wonder if she has a boyfriend.

"Too bad she doesn't hook up." says Juliana, reading my mind.

Best friend telepathy, I swear.

"What do you mean? She's the relationship type?" I ask, racking my brain for what her type could be. The studious type? Doubtful. Athletes? Hopefully.

"No. She doesn't date either."

My eyebrows shoot up and I break my gaze. "Why?"

"Nobody knows. She turns down every guy who asks her out and Kaylee said she's never hooked up before." She sits back in her seat, playing with a pen in her hand, oblivious to my shock.

How does a girl as hot as her not use her looks to her advantage for a date? Even a free meal from some poor dude.

I turn in my seat to face her, my brain not making the connection. "So, you're telling me, a girl that looks like that," I say, motioning towards the mysterious brunette, "doesn't sleep around and doesn't go out to dinner with a guy?"

"I know right. With a face as beautiful as hers, I was just as surprised." Juliana confirms. "Kaylee's tried to set her up with some of our fraternity brothers, but Lexi won't give them the time of day."

So she isn't into frat boys, noted.

"Interesting. Tell me what else you know about her." I reply sitting back in my seat and pulling out my phone. This semester just got more interesting.