Prologue

Written. Edited. Rewritten. Edited.

November 26th, Some Time Ago

Time Stamp: 6:00 PM

~

No Perspective...

~

The Ending.

~

Reality was never kind to the visionaries.

To the dreamers.

Miserable humans daydreamed as their wearied legs waltzed down battered sidewalks. Citizens went through the city of Greenport, their minds vacant of what occurred behind closed doors. Some walked mindlessly while others inhaled shocking pink, pulsing blue. Some were dreamers. Others were not. And some watched the stars while the others forgot.

When the world slept, the dreamers danced.

Have you ever waltzed with the stars? Or, the further curious question, would the stars remember your dance? Would they recognize your smile in a tumult crowd of one-thousand? Did your laugh cause them to smirk when laying in the soggy grass? Or would they forget you like the creatures forgot Alice?

Alice was the sole star dancing through the inkling of her tears.

She—

"She's fucking annoying," Levi cursed the altered character, clutching the ink pen in his roughened palms. "Honestly, I might kill her."

He was talking to paper.

Still, he was angry.

Why couldn't the ridiculous fictitious character stay in Wonderland? A stupid, frivolous girl was ruining Levi's book. Why had she jinxed it at the opening, declared her loathe of the world before truly understanding the land? Dreams were alarming to the dreamers in the actual world.

By the moment Alice understood her daydreams, she woke up.

Typical of the girl. She even ruined the tales in her mind.

Levi threw the violet pen onto his writing-desk. "Yo, Goldie Locks!" The author yelled for the beer-drinking lunatic, calling the seer of good into his room. "Come help me out, and I'll be nice to you for eleven minutes!" Kindness never brought Levi anywhere, but lying made the world go-square. "You want a hug? Get in here, and I'll give you a 'lil squeeze."

With the sound of an opening door, Levi turned in his chair. "You're interruptin' Sunday Football." Caden leaned against the doorframe, holding his rib cage with crossed arms.

"You're such a puss." Levi rolled his eyes at the fake-firmness, propping his bent arm on the chair's backside.

Name-calling his friends was a profession he had transcended since creation, the ticks of Adam and Eve.

"Am I?" Cade tested Levi's patience, his nonexistent patience.

"God, I wanna rip you apart," Levi shook his head. "Sell your earlobes on fuckin' eBay or send you to a science-lab. Put you to use." Levi made the scene with his hands, simply painting an established canvas in the adjacent sky. His eyes averted to Cade, the latter bearing the same vexed look as before. "Wanna know the subtitle? The marketing ploy? How I could convince anybody to buy you—"

"—I wanna know why you're interruptin' Sunday Football." Caden was feeling rather bold, it seemed.

"How about we keep it the fuck down when the adults are speaking, yeah?" Levi cut his roommate's words brief, gesturing his arms between himself and the Alice in Wonderland posters.